Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 08:37 AM

Default Stay super-aggressive or back off?

No, this isn't a bad beat post although it does involve a bad beat. It falls outside what SNGPT can calculate, though, so I wanted to post this hand and see if I should've done anything differently.

Background: Beginning 3-handed I had t1860, compared to my opponents with t4540 and t3600. I only had t1000 going into 4-handed but had made up the extra with a lot of blind stealing.

I continued to push all kinds of hands and worked my way up to 2nd in chips (SNGPT really makes you look at these situations differently). I didn't have to show down a single hand since I eliminated the Bubble.

Two hands prior to the example hand, I open-pushed and took down the blinds. Next hand the SB called my BB and I took down the pot with a check-raise on the turn (paired my 3). Didn't have to show down either hand.

The Button was rather LAG, and had minraised a number of times before. Several of those times I took down the pot by pushing from the SB (with a reasonable strength hand) so I was confident he didn't have a strong hand here.

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (3 handed) converter

Button (t4750.00)
Hero (t3110.00)
BB (t2140.00)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of t150.
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to t3110</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t2510.

Flop: (t6520) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t6520) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t6520) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t6520

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Button has Ad 4d (two pair, tens and fours).
Hero has Jd Ac (one pair, tens).
Outcome: Button wins t6520. </font>

In the end I got what I wanted, right? I got all the money in as a 3:1 favorite against a dominated hand, and would've had a commanding chip position had I won. Unfortunately this time I was unlucky and busted out in 3rd. It happens.

I only realized after the fact that I had &gt; 10x BB and wasn't under as much pressure to play as I thought I was. Given my recent maniac image, should I have backed off, and just flat called PF (I don't like playing AJo OOP but it's too strong to fold 3-handed) and let the hand go when I missed? Or once you've gotten back to a "healthy" chip position, do you recommend backing off and more selectively picking spots?
Old 10-15-2005, 08:50 AM

Default Re: Stay super-aggressive or back off?

If this is not a bad beat post, then why did you post results? Don't post results.

That said this is a clear, easy push.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Stay super-aggressive or back off?

The chances of me doing anything but open-push with AJ three handed with 10.1 BB are nil, unless I have x-ray glasses on and can see his hand.