Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Bad luck or did I walk into a trap?

Hey everyone, i'm pretty new to the game and i was just wondering if i could get some input on my play in this hand. Should i have folded on the turn?

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.70 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.70 BB
Old 10-13-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Bad luck or did I walk into a trap?

raise pf and then the hand plays a bit differently.

how you played it i'll c/c the turn and lead the river (calling a raise). the reason for this is if he doesn't have an A he isn't too likely to bet the river but might call our bet thinking we're bluffing. by c/r first it most likely means he has a good hand (if he's betting, maybe even better than ours) and it leaves us open to a 3bet and we certainly cannot fold.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:23 PM

Raise preflop. If he 3-bets, you have a better idea of what he might be holding. When he raises you on the flop, and UTG folds, I 3-bet. If you're not doing that, it's only to save the raise for the turn. The way you played it, I see no point in raising the river...if you're beat, he's 3-betting, if you're winning, he folds.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:25 PM

Raise preflop, AQ is a good hand. Bet/3-bet the flop. If MP2 is still raising you after all of this, I'd check/call the turn and river.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:25 PM

*grunch*

I would not fold the turn. I don't think I would re-raise on the river though. I'm thinking he has the case Ace and thinks he has you outkicked. I'm glad you called his 3-bet because there is a good chance we are best here and the pot is just big enough to justify.

I'd like to see what someone with more experience would say.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:39 PM

So...everyone told you about PF. And not raising it in this instance made this hand much more difficult on every street.

Do you know why the flop bet is good? Ask why 3 betting the flop is a good idea.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So...everyone told you about PF. And not raising it in this instance made this hand much more difficult on every street.

Do you know why the flop bet is good? Ask why 3 betting the flop is a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

O.K. why is 3-betting the flop a good idea
Old 10-13-2005, 06:36 PM

:grunching

Raise preflop! Flop and turn are ok.
River: raise is bad, there are far too many hands that have you beaten {KQ, JJ, TT, AK, AJ, AT(s)}, these are also hands that villain would raise with preflop. Just call down instead.

Folding anywhere without good reads on what villain raises preflop is too tight.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

O.K. why is 3-betting the flop a good idea

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if he caps we can c/c down and save a BB
Old 10-13-2005, 06:43 PM

Raise this preflop here. If I get three bet, on this board I just c/c down, and I don't understand at all why people are saying bet/3 bet the flop. He either has us crushed or we have him crushed. I mean there is a WA/WB thread on the first page. Or do .05/.1 players just suck that bad?

EDIT: I guess people are saying that as played we should be three betting the flop. I still don't agree, I play it is WA/WB.