Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 11:40 PM

Default I smell a bluff...

Villain is known to be aggressive. I've played about 40 hands with him and I'm starting to get a good feel for how he plays. I've been a tiny bit tight, but very aggressive. I'm not sure how much he notices.

I really doubt he has an ace because he would probably go for the fancy check-raise if he did. I'm pretty sure I would have heard from a medium pocket pair on the flop or turn. So I suspect he had overcards and was chasing, and there's an outside chance of a small pocket pair 44-22 and was planning the river donk the whole time.

How do you play it?

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero...
Old 10-12-2005, 11:45 PM

Default Re: I smell a bluff...

no specifics about his aggression really, just that he is aggressive.

i don't think he would try a check raise with an ace (because you raised preflop and have been betting the whole way), but i also think that if you call this it's not very -EV.

so generally i would fold if i had bet the turn. against someone who will bluff a lot of rivers, i'll gladly check behind my K high on the turn and call a river bet.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:06 AM

I'd like to say that the pot is sufficiently large enuf for me to call down, mainly just to see what he's playin. But in reality I 'spect that i'd fold here. I doubt it's a bluff (at least it usually isn't when i'm there.) I'da probably given it up on the turn.

edit: against someone who will bluff a lot of rivers, i'll gladly check behind my K high on the turn and call a river bet.
yeah, i like this
Old 10-13-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no specifics about his aggression really, just that he is aggressive.

i don't think he would try a check raise with an ace (because you raised preflop and have been betting the whole way), but i also think that if you call this it's not very -EV.

so generally i would fold if i had bet the turn. against someone who will bluff a lot of rivers, i'll gladly check behind my K high on the turn and call a river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. If I think he has a tendency bluff the river, I check behind the turn and call a river bet. I would only bet the turn in that case if the opp. was so loose that I'm value betting, and planning on betting the river as well.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is known to be aggressive. I've played about 40 hands with him and I'm starting to get a good feel for how he plays. I've been a tiny bit tight, but very aggressive. I'm not sure how much he notices.

I really doubt he has an ace because he would probably go for the fancy check-raise if he did. I'm pretty sure I would have heard from a medium pocket pair on the flop or turn. So I suspect he had overcards and was chasing, and there's an outside chance of a small pocket pair 44-22 and was planning the river donk the whole time.

How do you play it?

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (3.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero thinks for a long time (probably 7-10 seconds), calls, and loses to KJo. I'm still not sure if I like the call. My gut feeling is that it's right on the cusp, as I think he would do the same with QJ and maybe even QT/JT. When you balance those against the times he donks pocket pair or an ace (and against the size of the pot), it seems to be very close.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:35 PM

I don't think he'd go for a checkraise because he probably suspects you were continuation betting with nothing since you probably didn't connect with this board with hands that you would raise preflop or you were betting with an overpair lower than aces (by figuring if he has one and there is one on the board, you are less likely to have the other two.)

I'd probably fold, but if you think you have him beat even 1 time in 6 (to be exact, 6.75 - the rake), call.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero thinks for a long time (probably 7-10 seconds), calls, and loses to KJo.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't think about this before, but why did you raise an UTG limper with KJo? I would probably just limp with it and hope to connect with the flop unless UTG is pretty loose, say above 40-45 vpip - then I would try to fold the blinds and get it heads up.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't think about this before, but why did you raise an UTG limper with KJo? I would probably just limp with it and hope to connect with the flop unless UTG is pretty loose, say above 40-45 vpip - then I would try to fold the blinds and get it heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's 4-handed.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:47 PM

Is he ever going to bet/fold this river?

If the answer is 'yes' I would prefer raising to calling. (And I know the results are in here, but even before I saw them I was worried this guy might be bluffing with the best hand.)

If he's going to show down any pair than obviously calling is better, but folding is probably best of all.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:47 PM

I think I probably end up playing this the same way. I don't like giving a free card on the turn, my preference is to bet the turn and check behind on the river. Interesting thought though to check behind the turn and call any river.