Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2003, 01:33 PM

Default Phil Hellmuth - Good or Great

I am not sure what to make of Phil's recent column in CP where he had to pick on Robert Varkonyi, Jimmy White and Al Goehring for their seemingly unorthodox ways of winning those big tourneys. Phil did not put it mildly that way though, because modesty is not one of his strong points. Most of us know that Hellmuth is often called the John McEnroe of poker with his antics and tantrums and how he paid for his big mouth in last year's WSOP. He did pointed out however, some questionable plays that Alan made and won where it seemed that luck prevailed over skill. But it is the manner he wrote the article of putting down the success of these gentlemen. Hellmuth is, no doubt, a very good player, but great is debatable (he self-proclaims he is). In spite of equaling Dolly and Johnny Chan with nine bracelets, both Dolly and John have 2 world championships.

Now, with Chris Moneymaker's win, I wonder what challenge Phil would have made had Chris crippled him the way Varkonyi did last year. Would he bet to strip his underoos in public? Can't wait to see the article Hellmuth would be writing on this one.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Phil Hellmuth - Good or Great

underoos? lol lol
Old 05-29-2003, 02:22 AM

Default How About \"Bad\"?

Great HE tourney player, when he's "right". Prolly top five all-time there. Not much else, although it should've been more than enough.

Not for him. Ego. F- him.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:54 AM

Default Non-American here. What are underoos? Underclothes? NM

Old 05-29-2003, 09:02 AM

Default Re: Non-American here. What are underoos? Underclothes? NM

Several years ago, a company marketed kids underwears with super heroes on them and called them 'Underoos'. Not sure of the correct spelling, though.
Old 05-29-2003, 03:09 PM

When I was in first grade, I used to sneak my Superman underoos undershirt under my real shirt, and then during recess, I would take off my shirt and run around, pretending I was Superman, and all the kids thought I was the coolest. Those were the days. . .
Old 06-01-2003, 11:34 PM

sure they did . . . .