Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Flopped Flush

Hi all, had this somewhat strange hand this morning. Sorry I don't have the exact hand history but here's what happened.

Full ring loose/passive 2/4 game on Party.

Dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button.

UTG+2 limps, MP2 limps, MP3 limps, Hero raises, blinds fold, all call.

Flop is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

First 2 players check, MP3 bets, I call, one call, one fold.

Turn is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. EP checks, MP bets, I call, EP calls.

I can see an argument for raising the flop but I think a raise is not for protection because the ace of spades is never folding (and there's no other hand I'm really worried about). So it's for value. But given that it's for value I think I stand to make more by going for a flop overcall if EP has anything (and doesn't realize he's likely drawing nearly dead). Or do I raise hoping MP has a smaller flush/set and will pay me off?

I planned to raise a non-spade turn but with the spade, is calling the best course of action?
Old 10-12-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Flopped Flush

i fastplay the flop, and expect MP to donk the turn quite often. when you raise this flop, they think, "hah, this fool doesn't have the flush." when they think that, they think, "hmm, my 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is g00t," or "hmm, my pair of 8s is n1ce."
Old 10-12-2005, 12:26 PM

I think it is. As you said, no one is folding the As on the flop. A raise now just puts the flop bettor back on his heels. As for the turn, there is no way EP calls for two w/o a spade, but he may call top pair for one. A raise will fold every hand but spade hands, and many smaller spade hands may also fold, but the main thing is, once that fourth spade falls, no one is getting into a raise-war with you without the As. So, yeah, I think your raise could knock out EP and only get one extra bet out of MP3, while going for overcalls could get two extra bets out of EP.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:31 PM

You could argue for a flop raise but I think your turn move is correct.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i fastplay the flop, and expect MP to donk the turn quite often. when you raise this flop, they think, "hah, this fool doesn't have the flush." when they think that, they think, "hmm, my 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is g00t," or "hmm, my pair of 8s is n1ce."

[/ QUOTE ]

i think it's table texture dependant. but there is vastly more profit potential in fast playing and possibly getting action that not fastplaying and collecting 2 big bets on the big streets.

last night i flopped a flush out of the BB with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
board was something like A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
turn was Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. river was 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
i fastplayed it the whole way and bet the river too for good measure. i even called a river raise thinking "that fool doesn't have a flush." i suck.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:34 PM

I did the same today but I had the nutflush and failed to notice the paired board on the turn and then the double pairing on the river......