Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Effective 2nd nuts line check

Villain is pretty bland (23/6/4 after 450 hands). He's not particularly good but not an uberdonk, either. I figured him for a queen or a good jack after the flop raise; the small turn bet made a jack seem more likely but calling the raise made me sure he had a queen. I'm not thrilled about the river raise but I can't possibly fold so I call expecting to see AQ/KQ at least some of the time.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 Hero (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Button ($420.30)
SB ($358.35)
Hero ($412.60)
UTG ($257.50)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($6) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $10</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $5.

Turn: ($26) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $40</font>, UTG calls $30.

River: ($106) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
I bet $75, he pushes, I call
Old 10-11-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Effective 2nd nuts line check

With those stats, I don't think he's playing QJ UTG. However he could have AQ... KQ a big maybe. So I like the flop bet and subsequent call. You could be ahead of AJ or behind AQ.

The turn of course is good. River good too. He's pushing your river bet to a brick on the river after calling your turn raise? What in the world is he doing?
Old 10-11-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With those stats, I don't think he's playing QJ UTG. However he could have AQ... KQ a big maybe. So I like the flop bet and subsequent call. You could be ahead of AJ or behind AQ.

The turn of course is good. River good too. He's pushing your river bet to a brick on the river after calling your turn raise? What in the world is he doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

QJ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] maybe? that's the only combination of cards i can see him holding off the bat that beats us and plays this way. i call and hope he overplayed something.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:16 PM

Almost this exact hand happened yesterday with me. He had QJ. owever, this guy is aggro enough to get it all in here with AQ so I figure bombs away.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Almost this exact hand happened yesterday with me. He had QJ. owever, this guy is aggro enough to get it all in here with AQ so I figure bombs away.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not allowed to reply-- you were at the table when it happened [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] (though he wasn't the villain)
Old 10-11-2005, 08:21 PM

True, QJs is a possibility. Maybe a fold on the flop is in order. It's close.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think folding the flop would be a colossal mistake. The minraise is a good jack at least as often as its a queen.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:29 PM

AQ and JJ are getting it all in almost 100% of the time, and both are mathematically equally likely or more likely than QJ. Calling the push is certainly +EV.

I generally play my FH's a lot slower than most, which might be a problem. I would actually bet out the turn and hope for another raise. I don't think anything less than KQ calls that turn checkraise, while AA might call two more bets. Also, the check raise definitely slows KQ down a bit, while it may be inclined to raise again if bet into on the turn.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell no.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not allowed to reply-- you were at the table when it happened [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] (though he wasn't the villain)

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was at the table I totally missed the hand.