Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 10:28 AM

Default Felt lost and hit my hand on the river

Live 9-handed NL table, blinds 5/5. Villain in this hand has played very loose so far and likes to play for example any two suited.

I'm in late position with stack ~500 and get dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

One or two limpers to me and I raise to 30. Villain calls from EP and everyone else folds.

Two players to the flop. Pot is 70.

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Villain checks to me. It looks like a "I have nothing"-check more than a check-raise attempt. I bet out 40. He quickly calls.

Turn comes something like 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

He checks. I check.

River: T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Pot is 150. He bets out 200, I raise for my remaining 400.

I don't feel confident at all about the way I played this hand. I definitely need to improve my play in common situations like this one.

Was the continuation bet correct or should I just have taken the free card? Is it correct to give up when he calls the flop and check behind on the turn? Is the raise on the river correct?

Any advice welcome!
Old 10-11-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Felt lost and hit my hand on the river

the continuation bet is ok if he has 22, 33, 44, 55, 77 or 88 and you are seen as tight. however, he has 66 right now and there's no way you could have known that...he slowplayed himself to death though, nh
Old 10-11-2005, 10:55 AM

Flop and turn play looks fine, my cb is 50 on the flop.

With no read on the river overbet I might just call the river.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

With no read on the river overbet I might just call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

no way he has a flush, villain called 40$ on the flop with....what exactly? villain didn't even lead the turn, then pots the river? your straight is good.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:04 AM

You sucked out g00t.

Nothing wrong with your continuation bet. I can't see villain calling your bet with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] so he probably has an A with a bad kicker (10?) or a set of 6's as a previous poster mentioned. He either badly misplayed his set or got unlucky with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think 50 instead of 40 makes much of a difference here. This guy had, as I mentioned, played very loose and if he had some kind of hand he would probably call my flop bet regardless bet size.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:42 AM

I wouldn't completely disregard the possiblities of a flush with this guy. He could have hit the flop with hands like J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

What are the hands I beat that will call my river raise? Two pair seem rather unlikely from the betting sequence, and I don't think he's as strong as a set if he didn't river it with TT.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't completely disregard the possiblities of a flush with this guy. He could have hit the flop with hands like J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

What are the hands I beat that will call my river raise? Two pair seem rather unlikely from the betting sequence, and I don't think he's as strong as a set if he didn't river it with TT.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sticking with my read of 66
Old 10-11-2005, 11:45 AM

I loved to be the one doing the suckout for once. Have to do that more often... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Results

Villain folded to the river raise, showing T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] before mucking. No set with 66 there. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]