Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 09:11 PM

Default $55: HU Hand

I realize that HU is more of an art, but this hand was very interesting.

I've been playing fairly aggressive throughout the tournament, raising and pushing a lot. I was outplaying everyone in this particular tournament and everyone gave a lot of respect for my raises.

This did not stop HU either, as I was raising and pushing a lot against this guy when he had a large chip lead. I took 1200 chips from him without a showdown. So this guy's agitated, I'm sure. But that's about the only read I have, since any read I had for almost any person goes right down the tube when it becomes HU.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (2 handed) converter

Button (t8095)
Hero (t5405)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Button calls t100, Hero checks.

Flop: (t400) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t400</font>, Hero calls t400.

Turn: (t1200) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t800</font>, Hero calls t800.

River: (t2800) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t6695 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t4005 (All-In).

Final Pot: t13500

Any thoughts on how you would play it differently and the logic behind it would be nice.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:08 PM

Default Re: $55: HU Hand

Thanks for not posting the results.

Maybe you made a great read and at showdown the villian flashed a busted diamond flush draw or AQ, but this hand doesn't strike me as too interesting. You flop 2d pair and call it down all the way until you're all-in at the river.

By just calling, you never offered villian an opportunity to fold.

Ask yourself -- what hand does villian have? It could be almost anything, with Kx the most likely. Your line never forced villian to define his hand.

These are just my thoughts, but here're a few suggestions:

1. With 2d pair, think about betting the flop with the intention of folding to a raise and check-folding the turn.

2. Fold the turn.

3. Fold the river.

4. If you want to be aggressive, reraise the flop or lead out the turn, rather than just calling.

The Shadow
Old 10-10-2005, 11:32 PM

I didn't post the result because I don't want results fogging the thought processes of others.

My line did force him to define his hand. I was trying to show that from what went on throughout the tournament, but now that you replied I can describe it better.

I'm showing nothing about my hand by just calling. The fact is that I've been betting and raising a whole lot throughout the tournament because there was just a ton of steal opportunities that came to me and I never had to show my hand down unless it was the winning one.

Basically, the key point is that a bet by me in this hand means nothing to him. This means that he could reraise with garbage, and when I just call the reraise I am now defining my own hand without any information on what he has. At that point he can shove it all-in with nothing on the turn too, and the only way to avoid that is by reraising all-in on the flop and I certainly don't want to do that with medium pair.

So for the flop, I didn't bet with 2nd pair because there was a really high chance of getting reraised by him with anything, and I had a decent holding for HU.

Edit: I would like you to explain to me how his most likely holding is Kx, given this new information.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So for the flop, I didn't bet with 2nd pair because there was a really high chance of getting reraised by him with anything, and I had a decent holding for HU.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't getting reraised by anything be an exceedingly good thing? I can see the line you took being better only if you know he's going to keep betting at you with less than second pair.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:41 PM

It's not good to be reraised with anything because most people does not have a higher percentage of reraising with garbage than with legitimate hands. I'm forced to make a guessing game, and risk half/all of my stack by doing so when I have a legitimate hand myself for HU.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:50 PM

Against a super aggro player, I would often play it like this the whole way and expect to have the best hand at showdown. Once in a while, I'd CR the turn.

If you lost this - which is unlikely - it's most often to 87 or to a better 9.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:08 AM

I'm the super aggro player. He's not that aggressive, as I have described that I robbed him of quite a few chips.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It's not good to be reraised with anything because most people do not have a higher percentage of reraising with garbage than with legitimate hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does "anything" mean? The first suggests bad hands, the second suggests legitimate.

Isn't this where loose-agressive play pays off? You drive your opponent to disbelief that you have anything good and they go over the top of you with a marginal holding. If he had a great hand, I think he flat calls a flop bet.

I think just calling helps your opponent draw out on your middle pair on the turn and river more often than it helps you win more chips.

Your overly agressive play HU will have more of an effect on your table image than the good hands you've had to show down previously.

I bet the flop here.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:45 AM

Anything means just that, anything. If I get raised after a bet, I have to shove my chips in for my bet to be profitable. I have no choice of just calling his raise since he could shove all-in with anything on the turn, and if a scare card comes on the turn, then now I probably have to lean towards a fold. That's why I'm saying that it becomes a guessing game as to whether or not he has a legitimate hand.

He also wouldn't cold call here with a great hand. I've been pushing a lot, he'd be hoping for me to shove all my chips in after his raise and he would not want me to draw out on him.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:22 AM

I might consider just pushing all-in preflop in order to keep intimidating him and letting him know he cant call your blind. The rest of the hand I would deffinately just call all the way.