Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Anyone else here cant stand going to the dentist?

So today I go to the Dentist for the first time in a while and had my teeth cleaned. I mostly went there because I chipped a tooth playing b-ball a while back but its ok cause the tooth is in the back of my mouth (molar). Now I am getting it pulled and I cant freaking stand needles so whats my play? I have to get it taken out and I dont want to fork out the extra 200 bucks to be put to sleep. Should I just suck it up and get it over with or pay the extra money?
Old 10-10-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Anyone else here cant stand going to the dentist?

I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth pulled, I didnt go to sleep. I dont like needles like you, so I just told em to gas me up. It was really really cool actually, most messed up Ive ever been, and I personalyl believe I healed faster. I had them pulled on a friday at 3, and was out lifting christmas trees at 6 on sunday.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:02 PM

Hate it. I have bigtime needle issues.

Luckily though, me and my dentist have an understanding...He doesn't hurt me, I don't hurt him. This is basically the first conversation I have with a new dentist following an incident about 10 years ago when a random dentist I went too decided to check for infection in a tooth by [censored] POUNDING ON IT WITH THE LITTLE MIRROR THING.

I woke up the next day with a golf ball sized lump in that spot (from the infection).

Now I warn them.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:04 PM

ive had 4 impacted wisdom teeth for 7 years...its something i need to get taken care of...but have never had the time and since ive gone thru a few surgeries its not something im looking foward to.

When i was a kid my dentist was real rough with needles so for a cavity i opted for no shot and no gas...as he drilled he goes "well its alot deeper than i thought it would be, its almost to ur nerve" it wasnt SO bad...but it wasnt pleasent [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

its all about how high ur pain tolerance is....if u can take it then i guess dont do it
Old 10-10-2005, 06:04 PM

Suck it up.

I tense up when I go to the dentist. But it never turns out to be that bad.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:16 PM

Needles generally don't bother me, but the ones at the dentist are HUGE and freak me out. Fortunately, my dentist hides them. When it's time for one, I just close my eyes. Simple, but it does the trick.

One other trick. Find a GOOD dentist. Most are not that great, find a good one and you'll have no problem dealing with whatever they need to do. Go regularly, and giant problems are less likely to develop.

If you do need major work, and still can't stand the idea of all the things they have to do, some dentists specialize in sedation dentistry. They do it via pill. Ask around.

You can pay the dentist now, or you can pay him later. One is easy, the other hard. Your choice.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ive had 4 impacted wisdom teeth for 7 years...its something i need to get taken care of...but have never had the time and since ive gone thru a few surgeries its not something im looking foward to.

When i was a kid my dentist was real rough with needles so for a cavity i opted for no shot and no gas...as he drilled he goes "well its alot deeper than i thought it would be, its almost to ur nerve" it wasnt SO bad...but it wasnt pleasent [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

its all about how high ur pain tolerance is....if u can take it then i guess dont do it

[/ QUOTE ]

peachy, if they're really this bad you should look into getting them out as soon as possible. I had my wisdom teeth removed a lot later than most usually do, and there was almost complications because the roots had grown so close to one of the nerves in my jaw.

i was dreading the surgery, but overall it wasn't so bad. plus, I got some nice vicodin afterwards.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

peachy, if they're really this bad you should look into getting them out as soon as possible. I had my wisdom teeth removed a lot later than most usually do, and there was almost complications because the roots had grown so close to one of the nerves in my jaw.

i was dreading the surgery, but overall it wasn't so bad. plus, I got some nice vicodin afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] i just never have the time either...i do a ton of things and alot of people rely upon me to organize some of this stuff...and i had traveled alot recently, plus i have another health complication - my wisdom teeth were last on the list b/c they dont bother me...im gonna try and do it over the beginning of xmas break or maybe over thanksgiving - they arent BAD...they just need to come out hehe

hahaha when they told me i needed to get them out at 17 i didnt go back to the dentist for almost 3 years...im such a tard

people always talk about all the complications and the dry socket BS stuff [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] its not something im looking fwd to
Old 10-10-2005, 06:32 PM

Tough it out and keep the Vicodin prescription for other, more fun, uses.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:38 PM

i actually have never minded injections, shots or anything but of course nobody likes going to the dentist. it's terrible and awkward.

just a little advice though, if you are put to sleep the swelling will be worse, your body reacts better when it is "awake" rather than in a "hypnotic" state, meaning that if you were to be awake while this happened the recovery time will be a lot faster than if you are put asleep.