Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Is this fair?

So I get back my first Western Civilation test today and I got a 60/100... I was hoping for a high C to a low B. The test is worth 25% of our grade and there are 2 more we have to take this semester.

This is where I have a problem... My teacher says that one of his students received a 6/100 on the test. He's like, "what are you going to do with 6% when it's worth 1/4th of your grade... so I give everyone who gets an F a 59%." This means that if I had wrote down the wrong answer to every question and wrote completley false information in the essay section I woulda gotten 1% lower.

I'll be glad to post my essay and my questions I answered so you can look at them. I really don't believe I deserved 1% higher than a person who got 6/100.

Thoughts?

If any of you are good at this stuff (early to 1700) I'd really appreciate it if you could evaluate what I wrote so I can get a better grade next time.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Is this fair?

If a professor want to give certain students extra points, at no harm to other students, I am all for that. I hate it when other students throw fits about extra points being given away, toting the 'unfair' flag.

If you have a problem with this professor, let it be with how he graded your paper, not with giving extra points to other students.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If a professor want to give certain students extra points, at no harm to other students, I am all for that. I hate it when other students throw fits about extra points being given away, toting the 'unfair' flag.

If you have a problem with this professor, let it be with how he graded your paper, not with giving extra points to other students.

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem I have is that I received 1% more than some jackass who gets nothing right. That is not fair.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is not fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

neither is life. get used to it now.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

the problem I have is that I received 1% more than some jackass who gets nothing right. That is not fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a thought, but maybe you should try to figure out why you got a 60 instead of worrying about what is fair.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:55 PM

You know, instead of wasting your time fighting this huge injustice, you could study for the next test.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:56 PM

That would be mercy. Mercy is by definition unfair, and is apportioned as the wronged party (your prof, for having to weed through this [censored]) sees fit. You have no beef.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:57 PM

agreed. Yes, it sucks that so many students received free points and you did not, but you cannot control that. You can control your performance and your grade. OTOH, I do think this is unfair. Your professor should either grade on a curve or throw out this test and give everyone a second shot (or that sillyness - You can take your grade on this test, or your make-up test...) The prof chose a very unfair way of doing this, but welcome to the world.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:58 PM

you have a legitimate complaint IMO.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:59 PM

I had a teacher who would not curve unless the class agreed to curve both ways if a bunch of people got good grades then he would curve down. So he never did curve and what u got is what u got.

I really dont like the idea of curves like this just because of this reason. It makes it so u dont have to study [censored] and still can get a better grade then someone who studies there ass off. That being said i hate tests and think they really need to have different ways of grading. I was a horrible test taker and didnt end up with good grades in some classes due to this. But yet everytime the teacher would ask a question in class i could figure it out. But yet i still got C's in the class so Fcuk school im glad im done with that crap.