Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 10:47 AM

Default AQo hell

The PFR had some pretty tight stats...I'd easily fold to his PFR but not with all that money out there. Then once the flop came I had to see where I was at.

Once the flop came out, I had to see where I was....What street do i slow down? Anyone like the river bet? Ax Kh is the only thing i see calling.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button ($40.35)
Hero ($85.65)
BB ($47.73)
UTG ($27.35)
MP ($33.85)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.10.
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $0.65</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $2.75</font>, UTG calls $2.75, Button calls $2.75, Hero calls $2.25.

Flop: ($12) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, BB calls $5, UTG calls $5, Button folds.

Turn: ($27) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $13</font>, BB calls $13, UTG calls $13.

River: ($66) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $13????</font>
Old 10-07-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: AQo hell

Oh boy.

Even with all the money out there, I like a fold preflop if this guy has tight stats. And now you know why.

I don't like that flop size bet. What are you trying to do?

After your flop bet get's called by BB and UTG, and the turn is probably the worst possible turn card imaginable, I give up, no more money of mine goes in the pot unless it get's checked around and I river an ace.

The river bet is a very bad bet. worse hands fold, and better hands call.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:59 AM

So i should check/fold the turn and river in this ginormous pot? What do you put them on that they flat call the flop with? And with deeper stacks, I dont see how I can fold getting 4.33 to 1 closing the action.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:02 AM

Well, you underbet every street. I wouldn't even bet the river, but with such an underbet, damned near any haert will call, and with three players to the river, you can be sure that there's a decently high one out there.

Pot the flop, and if called, slow the hell down. Doubtful there's a fullhouse, though the river could have filled up the BB. To be honest, i think you were good until the river.

Unless of course some moron horribly played AK.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:03 AM

Can someone please put them on hands? Because I sure as hell couldn't

And I am never EVER potting this flop against these players.

BTW all my bets were horrid attempts at faux "blocking bets"

First raise I was shutting down completely.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:07 AM

I think I just have to check/fold this river I'm afraid. Somebody must surely hold a heart in their hand, if not a full house from a badly played AA? I may call a reasonable bet but I just concede this pot at the river. Your $13 bet is absolutely begging to be raised from the BB, as he's pretty much committed he's likely to push with any hand he came this far with. Either bet nearer half the pot, which puts both villians ALL-IN or just check it and fold/call it IMO.

I don't like raising this hand in the SB, especially such a small bet as 0.65. You've now built the pot for a hand which is far from made, OOP to all villians for the whole hand. If you raise, raise it higher to make sure you can get heads up. You need to define your hand as a strong one so you have at least some fold equity if the flop misses and you make a continuation bet. I also fold to the re-raise. AA, AK, KK, QQ all have you in bad shape and with a tight villian, playing out of the BB I have to give him credit for one of these hands. As it is, calling has got you into trouble when you hit the flop, but don't know how hard it has also hit your villians.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The river bet is a very bad bet. worse hands fold, and better hands call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worse hands fold? There's nothing to draw to. Are you saying bet less so that AKo calls? "Worse hands fold" refers to turn bets or the size of a river bet. Are you suggesting i check/call to induce a bluff?
Old 10-07-2005, 11:10 AM

Oh right didn't notice the deep stacks. It's not as bad as I thought, but I still fold preflop. The only way the deeper stacks are good for you is if you flop two pair or better, I rather have just about any other hand than AQo.

Well, BB could be trying to be 'sneaky' with AA, or could have AK and feels comfortable with you doing the betting, or have KK/QQ/JJ and can't lay it down. UTG might have a flush draw, maybe Ax, or maybe 22. I'd be very worried about the [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]'s thought from UTG

But about the preflop call, is there any hand that you wouldn't call with? Because AQo IMO is one of the worst to do it with
Old 10-07-2005, 11:11 AM

BB COULD possibly be holding KK? Your flop bet was weak, maybe he doesn't believe you have an Ace. Although if that's the case he SHOULD have raised or folded. But on the turn he could have picked up a flush draw, with the K of hearts perhaps?

UTG we don't have any stats on? If he's tight he'll probably have a pocket pair, now again he should be raising the flop though.. it all depends on how aggressive and loose your villians are to be able to put them on hands successfully.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Worse hands fold? There's nothing to draw to. Are you saying bet less so that AKo calls? "Worse hands fold" refers to turn bets or the size of a river bet. Are you suggesting i check/call to induce a bluff?

[/ QUOTE ]

That comment was about the river bet. I am suggesting that check/calling is better than betting. But better than both of those I think is check/folding