Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Trying to get better at this

After about 50 hands with Villain, all I know about him is that he's loose preflop.

PokerRoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO ($22.50)
Hero ($37.55)
SB ($7.50)
BB ($11.15)
Villain ($18.20)
UTG+1 ($58.25)
MP1 ($25)
MP2 ($10)

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] MP2 posts a blind of $0.25.
Villain calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333"> Hero raises to $1.75</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Villain calls $1.50, MP2 folds.

Flop: ($4.15) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villain checks, <font color="#CC3333"> Hero bets $2.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $6</font>, Hero ?

Comments on all streets appreciated
Old 10-06-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Trying to get better at this

Fold. I don't want to get tied into a big pot here to see he called with A3o or similar junk.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:35 PM

preflop is fine, flop bet is a little weak, but not horrible (at least you made it) and folding here is good.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:36 PM

If your read of "loose preflop" means he might have called your preflop raise with a weak ace then I would dump the queens and move on.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:39 PM

i don't particularly care for the 7x raise pre-flop either. getting action for this raise is nice with Queens, but it present some difficult decisions if an A or K falls on the flop. you'll also take down the pot without a caller a significant percentage of the time, which is a disappointment.

5x is big enough here, in my opinion, although I'd prefer 4x. You get the benefit of keeping the pot small until you see the flop, but you still encourage a little action for your queens.

Him limping and then calling and then check raising has to be A-x, 55 or 66. Don't let the mistake he made pre-flop turn into a good decision by paying him off.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:40 PM

Bet like $4 on the flop, fold to the raise.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet like $4 on the flop, fold to the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Riposte, do you find, with loose players at 25NL at least, that a full pot bet is necessary in this situation? It would be one thing if these players would get aggressive if they sensed weakness, but they don't get aggressive unless they have a hand (and sometimes not even then). I no longer see the point in making 3/4-full sized pot bets on flops like these. 1/2-2/3 seems to do the same job and save me BBs.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:46 PM

Yeah it doesn't really matter probably. Just make sure you're making the same size bet every time.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't particularly care for the 7x raise pre-flop either. getting action for this raise is nice with Queens, but it present some difficult decisions if an A or K falls on the flop. you'll also take down the pot without a caller a significant percentage of the time, which is a disappointment.

5x is big enough here, in my opinion, although I'd prefer 4x. You get the benefit of keeping the pot small until you see the flop, but you still encourage a little action for your queens.

Him limping and then calling and then check raising has to be A-x, 55 or 66. Don't let the mistake he made pre-flop turn into a good decision by paying him off.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of the preflop raise is to make loose callers make large mistakes if they choose to call with Ax or Kx. I was confident that nobody was slowplaying a monster here, so I wasn't worried about the checkraise. Whether or not an A or K falls on the flop is beyond my control. My only job at these levels, as I see it, is to force my opponents to make the biggests mistakes they are willing to make on any street.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:48 PM

i agree with you, 3/4 pot and full pot do pretty much the same work but htey save 1/4 the pot everytime.. and that adds

but.. at a table thats loose preflop..
raise more..!!! they will call with their Ax.. and most of the time they will miss so another small edge that you can make a little more money..