Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Management Consulting

Hi all,

I was wondering...I am applying for management consulting jobs and one of the skills they bring up time and time again is the ability to analyze and solve complex problems. Obviously, this is what poker is all about. Do I mention the fact that I play semi-pro online poker in my resume/potential interview? Why or why not...also, advice from people in the field or in business would be much appreciated.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Management Consulting

As a former management consultant I have to advise you to choose something else. Its no longer a high profit industry. It has grueling hours, lots of travel, bad schedules, and poor workplace dynamics to boot. Young guns like you do all the work in what is essentially a glorified temping agency. And that pyramid is very tough climb.

But if that is what you want, I'd sell the poker thing, you need to differentiate yourself, and many of them will like the idea that you are smart enough to beat a game like online poker. Tell them its not gambling, its more like derivative trading - try relating it to that when you get into an interview.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Management Consulting

[ QUOTE ]
bring up time and time again is the ability to analyze and solve complex problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

most poker problems really aren't that complex, or at least compared to the types of problems that top tier consultants are asked to solve.