Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 05:23 AM

Default Restricted Calls, All the time

So my old cell phone was a pos, but whatever it worked. At odd hours of the night (3am, 11pm, 7am..) I would get calls from a restricted # that would hang up when i picked up. Got a new phone, left the number on my old cell's answering maching, and its happening again. Any ideas on wtf this is? Doesnt seem like a stupid prank because its been going on for about a year now. Maybe once or twice a week, sometimes a couple times in 1 day.

Anyone have any similar experiences?

For your viewing pleasure.

Old 10-05-2005, 05:27 AM

Default Re: Restricted Calls, All the time

someone with fat fingers keeps dialing you by accident, and he is one of those pricks that hangs up when he dials a wrong number.. see other thread
Old 10-05-2005, 05:33 AM

Do you ever get advertisement voice mails?

Some companies place calls with the specific intent of leaving a voice mail and will hang up if a person answers, probably because it is a recording. Sometimes I get ads from banks and stuff.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:49 AM

I get this a lot and is a big problem in the UK at the moment and is down to call centres. Basically the call centres are run by computers they auto dial out the number and patch you into an operator when you answer, to save money they call out to more people than operators (knowing that a certain percentage wont be answered) so at times there is no operator to take your call and it just hangs up.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
someone with fat fingers keeps dialing you by accident, and he is one of those pricks that hangs up when he dials a wrong number.. see other thread

[/ QUOTE ]

Idiots!

A friend of mine once dialed the wrong number and told her he dialed the wrong nr. That chick called him back asking why he called her, how he got her nr etc. It was hilarious. She wouldn't take 'I dialed the wrong nr, sorry' for an answer. So he hung up on her. She called him back AGAIN. He told her to leave him alone.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine once dialed the wrong number and told her he dialed the wrong nr. That chick called him back asking why he called her, how he got her nr etc. It was hilarious. She wouldn't take 'I dialed the wrong nr, sorry' for an answer. So he hung up on her. She called him back AGAIN. He told her to leave him alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have told her, "You call me one more time and I get to sleep with you."
Old 10-05-2005, 06:32 AM

Don't answer calls from numbers you can't see or don't recognize. If it's important they'll leave a message.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't answer calls from numbers you can't see or don't recognize. If it's important they'll leave a message.

[/ QUOTE ]

we did this thread already.. i don't dig this philosophy. what if it's an emergency situation where action has to be taken immediately? if i call someone in such a circumstance, and i get voicemail, do you think i leave a message? i wait through their long ass outgoing message then *BEEP* then i start: OMG I GOT A GUY DYING HERE PLEASE CALL ME BACK WHEN U GET A CHANCE!

no, i would probably just hang up and call someone else.. but what if there isn't anyone else?! this man is dying here and you couldn't pick up your phone to save his life!
Old 10-05-2005, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I get this a lot and is a big problem in the UK at the moment and is down to call centres. Basically the call centres are run by computers they auto dial out the number and patch you into an operator when you answer, to save money they call out to more people than operators (knowing that a certain percentage wont be answered) so at times there is no operator to take your call and it just hangs up.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't explain why it hangs up every time. I think he might be getting a 'phone home' type call from a server or router, which has been programed with the wrong number.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't explain why it hangs up every time. I think he might be getting a 'phone home' type call from a server or router, which has been programed with the wrong number.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe but I am probably getting 9 or 10 of these a week then finally it gets through to you, this week it was someone selling a phone upgrade and since speaking to them havent had another one. The guidelines over here are that call centres should only be generating 5% of their calls as silent one I suspect many are way over that.

BT are getting 160,000 complaints a month on this I would be surprised if other countries are not having or will be having the same problem.

From OFFCOM could be somoen collecting numbers as well.

Q: Who is generating silent calls?
Ofcom believes that the three principal sources of silent calls are:

Telemarketing;
Financial services, especially debt recovery; and
Number scanning.
The latter involves automated calling systems dialling a sequence of phone numbers to determine which ones are in service. The results are used to develop a 'clean' list of active numbers which can be sold.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------