Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 08:44 PM

Default Bad situation with my dog

So where I live there is this area in back where at night when people come home from work they all go there and let their dogs off the leash and they play for awhile. Occasionally there are fights, my dog hasn't been involved in a fight before. My dog is named Hunter, I have had him for 3 months, he is a 9 month old hound/pit/lab mix, about 45 lbs.

There is a Doberman named Cooper who had attacked my dog twice before, nothing really came of it but Hunter started to avoid Cooper whenever he was around. So last Thursday I had Hunter out playing and Cooper was there. Cooper lunged at Hunter with his teeth bared and I guess that was all Hunter was going to take so Hunter fought back this time. It ended with Hunter clamped down on Cooper's face and dragging him across the ground while Cooper was crying in pain. Cooper's owner then attempted to break up the fight by STICKING HER HAND IN HUNTER'S MOUTH in order to try to pry open his jaws. The woman ended up with a cut hand of course, it was hardly more than a scratch but there was some blood. Both dogs ended up being perfectly fine, no cuts or bites on either of them.

So now I know that neither me nor Hunter are at any fault in this, but she is being a bitch and causing a big fuss. Basically, she has been going around the neighborhood telling everyone that I have a mean pit bull that bit her and that needs to be kept off the streets. It has really pissed me off because a) I can't take my dog to play with other dogs anymore and b) when people see me walking the dog they actually get scared and avoid me even though my dog is very sweet and really likes people.

And now I have just learned that she is going to try to force me to muzzle my dog, a process which I think may go through the police. So what do I do here? This is really frustrating because I know my dog did nothing wrong, but when a person claims to be bit by a dog it's one of those things where my dog is going to be wrong no matter what really happened.

I suppose it's possible she might sue me, I am actually less concerned about that then I am for the wellbeing of my dog if she gets the police involved.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Bad situation with my dog

Why don't you sit down and talk with her?
Old 10-03-2005, 08:49 PM

I did talk to her after it happened and she seemed OK and not mad. To be honest I know her dogs name but I don't know her name or where she lives.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:51 PM

Witnessess? Post flyers asking for witnesses.. Look around for security cameras.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:52 PM

Her dog attacked your dog? Do realize she is at fault, if she sues, countersue

Melch
Old 10-03-2005, 08:53 PM

Drag her dead body to the river...
Old 10-03-2005, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Her dog attacked your dog? Do realize she is at fault, if she sues, countersue

Melch

[/ QUOTE ]

She has proof, somewhat. He doesnt, Id hope that this blows over, until her cut heals.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:59 PM

siihp
Old 10-03-2005, 08:59 PM

I hate to be the devil's advocate here but you are supposed to be in control of your dog at all time. I understand what happened and I know it is not your fault but that's the way it is.
Do you have a homeowner or condomminium association? If so, they might make you put a muzzle on your dog. The police cannot do that. They can have animal control come and take your dog but that's it. Police does not get involved in civil matters.
Good luck and I am sorry this is happening to you.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you are supposed to be in control of your dog at all time. I understand what happened and I know it is not your fault but that's the way it is.

[/ QUOTE ]