Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 04:19 AM

Default I drink too much soda

I've noticed my soda intake has gone up a ton this year. I drink upwards of 48 ounces of diet cola per day. It ranges from Diet Coke w/ Splenda to Diet Hansen's (from Trader Joe's, also sweetened with Splenda and lacking in caffeine as well) to the ones with both aspartame and caffeine, like Diet Pepsi. [I hardly ever drink regular sodas because I don't generally like sugar].

I also drink water -- I use a Brita filter at home and consume an average of 2 bottles of Sparklett's when I'm at work. I also have the occasional orange juice, coffee, beer, and wine. So it's not like diet soda is my only beverage. I drink a lot of fluids every day, and now soda (mainly Diet Coke w/ Splenda these days) is the predominant favorite.

I think this can't be good, since I should do everything in moderation, and 48 oz./day is not moderation.

Questions:

1) Is this as bad as I think it is; if so, why?

2) What should I do to help curb my soda intake -- namely, what to replace it with (besides water, when I yearn for something with a flavor), what the best way to curb it is, and is anyone else going through the same thing?
Old 09-30-2005, 04:20 AM

Default Re: I drink too much soda

Edit your post and offer the first person to reply $1000 if you don't cut your intake to 16 oz. per day within one week.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:21 AM

edit and also offer the second person.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:23 AM

Jesus Christ, do you just keep a laptop in the bathroom?
Old 09-30-2005, 04:23 AM

on #2) try some of the artificially sweetened teas, such as crystal light raspberry tea. It gives more of a sweet kool-aid or soda taste, but doesn't hit the wasteline or digestive system so heavy.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
on #2) try some of the artificially sweetened teas, such as crystal light raspberry tea. It gives more of a sweet kool-aid or soda taste, but doesn't hit the wasteline or digestive system so heavy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I drink a lot of this.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:26 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
Questions:

1) Is this as bad as I think it is; if so, why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it's bad because it boosts your sugar levels and I think I read a study saying how it's easier to grow a gut because we're becoming immune to sugar or some [censored] like that because of the huge does we have of it.

Meh I don't know, soda tastes good but it's probably not the best for you.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

2) What should I do to help curb my soda intake -- namely, what to replace it with (besides water, when I yearn for something with a flavor), what the best way to curb it is, and is anyone else going through the same thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Beer.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:28 AM

I don't see what the problem is - 48 oz. is what, 2 pop bottles and part of a 3rd? - I mean, come on...

I drink two bottles a work shift - at least - and compare to the guys drinking coffee by the gallon....no biggie, esp. diet, I think.

RB
Old 09-30-2005, 04:28 AM

GoT, Catch of the Day and I made a bet at the beginning of the summer that for every soda someone drank they owed $20 to the group. We made an exception for mixed drinks (e.g. rum and coke), but other than that no soda. It's pretty easy after a few days. Stop buying so that it's not in your fridge and it won't be that hard.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jesus Christ, do you just keep a laptop in the bathroom?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do pee a substantial amount. But you're supposed to drink something like 64 oz. of water a day, so I doubt I urinate more than the typical person should.

Oh, this brings up another question: since diet soda is mainly just carbonated water and a couple chemicals, what % of my daily water intake should I include in soda? Like, if I drink a 12 oz. can, which is probably over 11.8 oz. of carbonated water plus 0.2 oz of chemicals, should I say I've had 11.8 oz. of water so far that day? Or should I discount because of the chemicals and say 10 oz.? 6 oz? Zero?