Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 02:15 AM

Default (22) Push ok push on bubble?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter

Hero (t1920)
BB (t2870)
UTG (t1100)
Button (t2110)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font> Hero?

Do I push this? Icm say its +0.5%(I had bb only call with better hands) to push is this enough with sorty in bb next hand?
Old 09-28-2005, 02:18 AM

Default Re: (22) Push ok push on bubble?

I suppose a push isn't terrible, but you do have almost 10xBB. I think I would raise to 600 and fold to a push.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose a push isn't terrible, but you do have almost 10xBB. I think I would raise to 600 and fold to a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this. I think it's either all-in or call. And if BB has been reasonable I push most of the time here.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:22 AM

Easy shove, in my opinion. Small stack is at 5.5BB so this really shouldn't affect your play in this situation at all.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:24 AM

Shorty is not really short enough to affect your actions yet.
The answer depends entirely on your image and the read you have on the BB. So long as you have not been overly-aggressive in the last 5 or 6 hands, and if you have no read that tells you the BB is really loose then this is a pretty solid push.

The BB would have to be willing to make this call with a hand like QT in order for pushing to be wrong, which will almost never happen unless one of the above is true.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this. I think it's either all-in or call. And if BB has been reasonable I push most of the time here.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know why, but I don't like going into push/fold mode until I only have 7-8xBB. I'm probably wrong here though.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know why, but I don't like going into push/fold mode until I only have 7-8xBB. I'm probably wrong here though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you're saying, but raising to 600 here will put in you an awkward spot sometimes, especially against sharper opponents. He can come over the top with a wide range of hands here because if you call and lose, you bubble. Pushing makes him come up with a hand (which won't happen enough of the time for him), and leaves him no room to outplay you.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The BB would have to be willing to make this call with a hand like QT in order for pushing to be wrong, which will almost never happen unless one of the above is true

[/ QUOTE ]

But if I put bb on a range that is only better hands then mine 22+ and AT+ (which is probably accurate since he called with 44) I only have +0.5% according to icm and this does not take into account that the short stack is in the bb next hand. Is this not one of the arguments against basing pushes only on icm?
Old 09-28-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
its very wrong to go into push/fold more when you only have 7xBB,for example you push 2xBB or 3xBB leaving you with 4xBB or 5xBB and then you fold if some one pushes back????
Old 09-28-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

its very wrong to go into push/fold more when you only have 7xBB,for example you push 2xBB or 3xBB leaving you with 4xBB or 5xBB and then you fold if some one pushes back????

[/ QUOTE ]

Push/fold mode means that you either push all in or fold preflop. It does not mean raise and fold to a push.