Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: have you got any experience in the field of computer programming?
yes 75 52.82%
no 67 47.18%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2005, 04:06 AM

Default $55: Do you push with 1 limper at 300 blinds?

Raises, pushes, and folds I know what to do with. But I'm still adjusting how to deal with limpers when the blinds are huge. What does it mean when someone is willing to limp a huge % of his chips, and will they call a push? What is the correct play here?

Level:7 Blinds(150/300)
Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 3: damswede ( $2590 )
Seat 4: Hero ( $2320 )
Seat 6: mistertoc ( $1035 )
Seat 8: niuball33 ( $2395 )
Seat 10: zippy5412 ( $1660 )
Trny:16103112 Level:7
Blinds(150/300)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Qs Ah ]
niuball33 folds.
zippy5412 calls [300].
damswede folds.
Hero is all-In [2170]
mistertoc folds.
zippy5412 is all-In [1360]
** Dealing Flop ** [ Qh, Ac, 8h ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 2h ]
** Dealing River ** [ Td ]

What would you have done?
Old 09-27-2005, 04:12 AM

Default Re: $55: Do you push with 1 limper at 300 blinds?

this isnt even close. holla
Old 09-27-2005, 04:13 AM

A limper freezes my all-in moves almost as much as a raise, but AQ is too good here. Push.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:02 AM

Well, apparently it's not even close. But what I was thinking was that the guy must have some sort of pocket pair. What else do you call 1/5 of your stack with? I'm thinking if I push, he's like 90% going to call. Yes, there are donkeys at the 55's, but even donkeys usually have a hand if they want to play when they blinds are so high.

I was thinking that I didn't want to end up in a race when my stack is healthy and it's not quite even the bubble yet. But I pushed anyway, because my hand was too good. And, just like I thought, he called, he had 88, and he won.

I'm trying not to be results-oriented, but it made me stop and think further, because exactly what I feared was the case happened. Since it was such an easy push, in people's opinions, is it an easy call also, if the villain were to have pushed all-in first?
Old 09-27-2005, 05:08 AM

First of all what do you think he's got? Meaning, what do you think he is limping with? I would say a worse ace or a small pocket pair, with your fold equity on him (which probably still isn't much, it's gonna be player dependant though, some players will gladly fold) and the fact you got him covered makes this an all in u should be proud to make.

Even if you lose so what? You still got 900 chips or so, just start shoving a wide range and enough of the time you will double up and occasionally you will steal some blinds.

+++EV PUSH (IMO)
Old 09-27-2005, 05:21 AM

super easy push, any other player would just be plain stupid
Old 09-27-2005, 06:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that I didn't want to end up in a race when my stack is healthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are playing the wrong game
Old 09-27-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking that I didn't want to end up in a race when my stack is healthy and it's not quite even the bubble yet

[/ QUOTE ]
You should be more willing to race precisely because "it's not quite even the bubble yet." You should be more liberal with your pushes and calls when there are 5 players than you would with 4, because you don't have nearly as much equity locked up.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:49 AM

Call or push, you were going to lose the hand anyway. You can't fold AQ in this situation. At least with a push you have a chance to get them to fold. In my experience they will fold about (guessing) 60% of the time when limping.

When you have your opponent covered, a neat trick is to raise exactly their chip stack. It probably adds about a 5% chance they will fold. Hey, it's something!
Old 09-27-2005, 01:03 PM

Couple responses to people. I do not think this hand is quite as easy as everyone is making it out to be. There's a reason I lost this hand and this tournament, and it's not because I got sucked out on. It's not a bad beat post.

First of all, I understand that pushing is the standard play. It's what I did. If the blinds were lower, even if they were 200, there is no question that pushing is sublime. The key to this problem, I think, is the size of the blinds in relation to people's stacks. The villain, zippy5412, had the least room to make a bad limp, and was likely to call, since he would have less than 5BB remaining if he folded.

Fatdogs, I stated what I thought he had, and was correct. Mid-pocket. A bad ace is much less likely. I feel there is very little fold equity here, with the blinds being so high. If I lose, I only have 660 chips, just about zero fold equity, and a mere 3 hands before the 150/300 blinds come to eat me up. Obviously a losing proposition.

Sykes, if you had a healthy enough stack to outlast other players and the blinds, would you choose to knowingly put yourself 50/50 race situations before it's even bubble time?

Pergs, I'm sorry, but I think you have it backwards. There's a reason we wait until the bubble to start pushing like a maniac. Hint: should you be more liberal with your pushes and calls when it's 10 players rather than 4?

MegaBet, it is possible to fold. I considered it. If somebody else pushed all-in ahead of me, there is a good chance I would fold. When you say you think limpers fold 60% of the time, is this from experience in the $55's, and are you talking about 300 chip blinds, where the limper would be left with less than 5BB and is only 2 away from the BB, where he would be left with 3BB after the blinds pass through him? Because in this situation, I se people folding less than 20% of the time.