Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Active Bankroll?

Blast the broken search. I am sure this has been covered before, but what do you think is a reasonable bankroll for PLO?

I have been working with a 20x max buy-in assumption and wonder what others thought. Too much? Too little? Just right?
Old 09-26-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Active Bankroll?

I think the general consensus is too little. Dave D had a good post that said something like this: 30 for taking a shot, 50 a safe bet, 100 to be completely comfortable
Old 09-26-2005, 05:40 PM

I thought it was 20-30-50

50+ buyin downswing i dont even wanna think about.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
30 for taking a shot, 50 a safe bet, 100 to be completely comfortable

[/ QUOTE ]

10-20 taking a shot
30 marginal bankroll
50 decent/probably adequate
100 safe/properly bankrolled
Old 09-26-2005, 06:49 PM

The notion that 100 buy ins would be a very safe bankroll solidifies the idea in my head how swingy this game is.

That is, if 10-20 buy ins in NLHE is considered fine.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:43 PM

This may just be me, and I dont claim to be an expert in omaha (i play it for a change from holdem and only when im in profit for the day) but low limit games are a complete lottery.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This may just be me, and I dont claim to be an expert in omaha (i play it for a change from holdem and only when im in profit for the day) but low limit games are a complete lottery.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just you. PLO is completely about odds. Have you watched higher limit games? The games look the same but granted there is more psychology and they have a better grasp of odds/probability/theory.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never had a >4 buyin downswing in NLHE in over 150k hands so I think 20 is absurd, mostly but safe and I like safety. I'm playing the $50 NLHE right now with >50 buyins.

In my 25k(or so) PLO hands I've never had more than a 5 buyin downswing but for an inexperienced PLO player I would say 20-30 would be good, 40-50 would be nice, and 60-75 would be safe. For an experienced PLO player I would think that 30 buyins is safe. I play the $25 and $50 plo and have 100+ buyins for the $25 and >50 for the $50.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:30 AM

I don't think it's a lottery at all, but there's some difference that I just want to put my finger on. Basically I still feel this way, if I see a 25$ PLO table and a 25$ NLHE holdem table with 17$ pot averages, I think the holdem game is much much better. Now I know that doesnt really make sense, but I'd know in the holdem game I'd have a huge advantage. Now in the PLO game I think I have a huge edge too, basically that I play good hands, draw to the nuts, know when to drop etc, but I feel helpless sometimes in PLO, like I need to flop a massive draw or hand and "get lucky" with it.

Looking at hand histories though, I can see I'm pushing positive edges, they just feel different than holdem I guess.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:08 AM

What you are describing basically is the general nature of the games

NLHE = rewards aggression. You can win a ton being hyperaggressive. It is very easy to totally terrorize the table.

PLO = semiaggressive game. Being hyperaggressive is suicide
Old 09-27-2005, 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just you. PLO is completely about odds. Have you watched higher limit games? The games look the same but granted there is more psychology and they have a better grasp of odds/probability/theory.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never had a >4 buyin downswing in NLHE in over 150k hands so I think 20 is absurd, mostly but safe and I like safety. I'm playing the $50 NLHE right now with >50 buyins.

In my 25k(or so) PLO hands I've never had more than a 5 buyin downswing but for an inexperienced PLO player I would say 20-30 would be good, 40-50 would be nice, and 60-75 would be safe. For an experienced PLO player I would think that 30 buyins is safe. I play the $25 and $50 plo and have 100+ buyins for the $25 and >50 for the $50.

Just my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

You say you've never had >4 buyin downswing playing NLHE and feel that 20 buyin rule is absurd. Then why with 150k hands of experience are you playing with 50+ buyins at the $50 tables rather than doubling your win rate at the super juicy $100 games all over the net?

I dunno, these kind of posts just seem sort of useless in the whole bankroll debate. They always lead to statements like I never lost more than 5 buyins, so I recommend 40-60 buyins...

My take is along the lines of: play at whatever level you can afford to lose 5 buyins (even though it might be rare, its not impossible on a real crappy day where the gods hate you). If you have $2000 and losing 5x$100 would freak you out, then play $50. If you have $300 but can replace it easily if needed and have a decent game, then try the $50s if the table is good. If losing 10% of your roll in a day scares you, then play with a 50+ buyin roll. etc.