Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2003, 03:24 AM

Default Maybe I should be laughing

Played for a short while in this low limit hold'em game. I really don't understand how you should play against these guys. One hand it's capped preflop, with eight [!] callers. I have QQ, but must eventually fold when an A hits the board. It turns out some comedians with A5 and A6 split the pot with AJ77x on the board.

Another hand I get involved with AT, thinking maybe I can get some chips from those funny guys with Ax. No raises preflop, so to my surprise I'm raised by a late position guy when the flop comes T85. After a K comes on the turn I just call him down, and he shows 85 offsuit for a two pair. 85!?

Well, I don't consider these bad beats, since my hands weren't very strong either. But what surprises me is the crap quality of the eventual winning hands. These guys could have careers in the entertainment business! Maybe start up their own sit-coms.

So, what I'd like to know, is how the heck you should play these people. It's impossible to know where you're at, since they apparently are able to show you random holdings. Is it enough to loosen up a little, expect big swings, but hope that the better starting hand requirements will bring you the money after a few thousand hours at the table? Maybe start playing small-medium suited connectors like 76s, big-medium unsuited connectors like T9o, and big-medium aces like A9o? What about high cards like KJo? Could they be profitable? I suppose it must be a routine fold with KK or QQ if an ace hits the board?
Old 05-13-2003, 03:29 AM

Default Re: Maybe I should be laughing

or you could pray to satan for luck. then just play showdown with them :\

i dunno im new to the game and i was just about to make a post about this. it's easy when theres one or two of these clowns at the table.. but when youre the only one taking the game half seriously ive found it really frustrating.

you wait for kk or ak, and even when you hit you end up being beat. :/

i hope someone has some insite on this. thanks
Old 05-13-2003, 04:02 AM

In games like this, you should be trying to make stronger hands than one pair. To that end, look more favorably on hands like A3s than AJo, or 88 rather than KQo. You want hands where you will either hit your hand on the flop (ie a set) or flop a good draw (ie, nut flush draw). In those cases, you'll be loving having 5-6 people in with you. You play an AK and flop a K, you're going to have to play extremely well to make this +EV (and from the tone of your post, you don't sound like a very experienced player capable of this).
Old 05-13-2003, 04:08 AM

Well, I'm not. Of course. If I were very experienced I'd definitely avoid these crazy tables. Now, unfortunately, I don't have much choice.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:33 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

1st off, if youre going to play connectors, make them suited. think of the texture you playing. big multiway pots. T9o doesnt really play well in those, does it? neither does A9o or KJo.

there are 2 sources id check out. the wild games section in HPFAP and abduls preflop stuff in this type of game.

keep in mind how much your putting in preflop in compared to your hand. but also note if the aggression cools a little post flop

b