Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 08:18 AM

Default Standard chip-spewing?

I have only played a couple of hands at this table and done nothing note-worthy. Opponent is also unknown. Is this spewing or just enough of fancy play to mix in once in a while? Also, if I decide to do this, raise more on the turn?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Hero ($100)
UTG ($37.02)
Button ($117.70)
SB ($231.58)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, SB calls $2.

Flop: ($6) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $10</font>, Hero calls $5.

Turn: ($26) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $40</font>

Dumle
Old 09-25-2005, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Standard chip-spewing?

Without any reads, I say it's chip-spewing. You don't know if the SB doubled his stack through donk plays, and won't lay down a very small flush here if he has one, or even King with higher kicker or two pair etc... you need to have been at the table for a while to establish your own table image and get reads on villian in my opinion.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Without any reads, I say it's chip-spewing. You don't know if the SB doubled his stack through donk plays, and won't lay down a very small flush here if he has one, or even King with higher kicker or two pair etc... you need to have been at the table for a while to establish your own table image and get reads on villian in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. And also I don't like risking half my stack on a bluff. I'd rather bluff at a smaller pot in which no one has shown strength rather than a big pot against someone raising me on the flop. I make it a rule to never bluff someone in a big pot without knowing they're capable of laying down a real hand.

Also, I think if anything your raise should be smaller so as to make the risk to you less. I think a c/r to $30 has the same effect as $40 but with less risk. If he's really going to fold to the 40, he'll fold to the 30 as well IMO.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:29 AM

Fold to the flop raise. I like the bet though.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold to the flop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though it is just SB and me? He may view this as a steal (which it was) and consequently play more aggressively on later streets.

Dumle
Old 09-25-2005, 09:50 AM

Yes. Wait for a better time to get your money in.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:53 AM

Well, you line looks a lot like you have the Ad. I think you'll probably win unless (1) villain actually has the Ad, or (2) villain has a read on you as a person who bluffs a lot, in which case he might call with any decent-sized diamond (maybe 7 or higher). He might even call you with a straight.

Overall, I think its a high risk play that probably isn't necessary. I prefer to semi-bluff rather than pure-bluff like you're doing here (no way K8 is best at this point, I don't think).
Old 09-25-2005, 12:14 PM

chip spewing...but it's also the only way you're going to win the pot. he can really only call you with the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] unless you've shown these kind of bluff raises before.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:24 PM

spewing without reads
Old 09-25-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
chip spewing...but it's also the only way you're going to win the pot. he can really only call you with the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] unless you've shown these kind of bluff raises before.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'll see a set call here plenty of times praying to fill up. They shoudn't but they will.