Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 08:45 PM

Default [30/3] AKo with huge stack in the bubble, 3(?)-handed pot

Reads-wise, cold-caller is a somewhat tricky player but I'm not so sure he's clever enough to do this with something like AA hoping I'll overpush with trash. On the other hand, button practically pot-commits himself with the call and if he calls I have a good chance of having a huge chunk knocked out of my stack. On the OTHER other hand, if button beats me, he will likely beat shorty as well and end the bubble, putting me ITM with a reasonable stack.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed) converter

UTG (t785)
Button (t1260)
Hero (t3870)
BB (t2085)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t785 (All-In)</font>, Button calls t785, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t3870 (All-In)</font> but doesn't feel so great about it.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:49 PM

Default Re: [30/3] AKo with huge stack in the bubble, 3(?)-handed pot

Either push or call if you feel like getting cute and pushing any flop.

He might make a fold there if he missed not wanting to bubble. FWIW I would keep it simple and just autopush pf.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:55 PM

come on, this is an automatic-push. Button probably wanted to 'make sure' that UTG got eliminated and called, now if you push, there's a good chance button folds and you get into a good sized-pot (where you contributed only 1/3 of the pot) where you're most likely either dominating over UTG or in a coinflip
Old 09-22-2005, 08:56 PM

Not pushing here is *insert adjective here which is synonymous with bad*.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Either push or call if you feel like getting cute and pushing any flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm, hadn't even thought of the stop-and-go. In retrospect I don't think it would accomplish anything here though; I think the guy who called (him specifically, not just any "generic opponent who calls here") is going to autopush the flop anyway and he acts before me anyway. Also, I don't want to give the BB any ideas if I can help it; notice he's getting 7-to-1 or so on a call if I call, too much even after taking bubble-weak-tightness into account.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:58 PM

Default Turing this into a semi-playalong...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, glad to see the posts agree with my action so far; good thing I have a personal rule of not deviating from the "obvious" play until I'm sure I know what I'm doing.

Interesting side problem: After I pushed, the BB called. What hands is he correct to call with here?
Old 09-22-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Turing this into a semi-playalong...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, glad to see the posts agree with my action so far; good thing I have a personal rule of not deviating from the "obvious" play until I'm sure I know what I'm doing.

Interesting side problem: After I pushed, the BB called. What hands is he correct to call with here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically everything that he called the original hand with.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what this means. That he should call with anything I would push here? Or anything that he would play against button if I folded? Or something else?

EDIT: It's possible you may think I meant the button called; actually, the BB cold-called my push, then the button surrendered his original call after this happened.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what this means. That he should call with anything I would push here? Or anything that he would play against button if I folded? Or something else?

EDIT: It's possible you may think I meant the button called; actually, the BB cold-called my push, then the button surrendered his original call after this happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh. Why yes, you're right.

If I was BB...I'd call with....

QQ+/AK

AQ if I had a read on my moro...opponents.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:00 AM

Default Results

Not that it matters much, but I thought it was kind of funny; BB called, button folded, UTG has Q9o and BB has AA. Flop comes 9 high but then turn is a K and river is also a K, giving me over 7500 chips. I didn't lose.