Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 06:25 PM

Default 88 trouble.

hands like this have been killing me lately, in general what is wrong here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

Button ($221.30)
SB ($207.10)
BB ($107.40)
UTG ($288.70)
UTG+1 ($173)
MP1 ($137.55)
Hero ($239.45)
MP3 ($216.85)
CO ($132.45)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $4, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>.

Flop: ($11) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $8</font>, Hero calls $8.

Turn: ($27) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $21</font>, UTG calls $21.

River: ($69) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $30</font>, Hero calls $30.

Final Pot: $129
Old 09-22-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: 88 trouble.

I play it the same except I fold on the river, barring a good read, I think you are beat here more than 2/3 of the time.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:31 PM

I see no way you are ahead on this river. Also, I keep my delayed bluffs for when I have info on my opps.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:34 PM

You're playing for set value, and you didn't hit your set. Calling is fine on the flop in case you are up against an AK continuation bet. When villian calls the turn bet, you're beat by a bigger pp almost always, and have to fold the river. Turn check may have been in order. Let's him draw for free if he's not paired, but you have redraws to a straight if he is paired. This tradeoff manages the pot-size and is slightly better than betting the turn, JMO.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:25 PM

i dont play it the same. i dont like your turn bet.

now that you've picked up outs you cant worry about protecting vs a 6 outer (vs an AK AQ etc. type hand) you should worry about getting to showdown (pot control) not being blown off your outs (set and oesd, which are both almost always live)

Someone said this isnt a spot for a delayed bluff... Well, thats dumb, he isn't bluffing the turn. He's betting what he htinks to be the best hand.

Also, I like villains play if he indeed has an overpair. Raise pf, c bet the flop, pot control turn, block bet river. Fairly standard stuff. Although sometimes I would c/r the turn w/ a big overpair.

Anyway, on the river, I think it's a fishy call too, would be nice to have a read and / or stats on villain, but he's not calling the turn with overcards then bluffing small into you. if he is and you picked him off, congrats, it was a 10% type deal. Too bad you didn't hit one of your outs to re-pop the riv... :/
Old 09-22-2005, 07:53 PM

Definitely fold the river.

Folding the flop isn't awful, either.

Ryan
Old 09-22-2005, 07:57 PM

I would check behind on the turn, and fold to a similar bet if unimproved (without a read).
Old 09-22-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont play it the same. i dont like your turn bet.

now that you've picked up outs you cant worry about protecting vs a 6 outer (vs an AK AQ etc. type hand) you should worry about getting to showdown (pot control) not being blown off your outs (set and oesd, which are both almost always live)

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this. I like Bobbos line better than the one i advocated. I change my vote.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:18 PM

reraise before the flop or just fold. don't call. Make him think you got rockets. If he has kk or aa he will put you all in and you save some bets by laying down( or he just outplayed us). Also might help you get action later, when you get rockets or cowboys. Who just calls with aces or cowboys. I think a rerasie on your part would change the whole complexion of the flop, if the raiser just calls. he has ak, qq, jj, or 10-10. Your just calling made him think you had ak or high overcards. You didnt have a made hand, you needed help. He felt his pockets were good, and played them accordingly.