Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2003, 12:13 AM

Default AA and a paired flop

Online $1/$2.

I pick up A [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] in middle position. Folded to me and I raise. The guy immediately to my left calls two cold, two late position folds and the big blind calls.

The flop comes 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]. I bet, my neighbour raises. Now what? I don't know anything about this guy (he's either new to the game or hasn't made any impression on me whatsoever...) I thought about raising, but I just called. The big blind folds.

The turn comes 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]. Check, bet, call.

The river comes 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]. Check, bet, call.

So, how badly did I do?
Old 05-10-2003, 04:32 AM

Default Re: AA and a paired flop

I would probably reraise the flop and then lead out on the turn. If raised on the turn I would just check call the river. I think you went into check-call mode too quickly. He is just as likely to be betting a 10 as a 7 or a vast range of pocket pairs that you can beat.
Old 05-10-2003, 02:12 PM

Without an impression of the guy its tought to say. This looks an awful lot like JT(I never cold-call two with this, but a lot of folks do), or maybe even an over-pair. There aren't many cold-calling hands that contain a seven.

I would usually call the flop bet and check-raise the turn, and if raised lose another 2 big bets.....Hmmmm....maybe thats not such a good idea.

-Huh [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-10-2003, 02:12 PM

So, how badly did I do?

Not that badly. If he coldcalls with any hand that has a seven in it, I want to know, and I'll pay two and one half big bets to find out. I suspect that he either had a ten, or pocket tens, and put you on AK. You didn't know about your opponent, but when he bets again on the turn, I would think about checkraising the river if he bets there.
Old 05-10-2003, 02:43 PM

It seems extremely unlikely that your opponent both 1)called a raise with a hand containing a 7 and 2) having done so, would raise the flop on a board without many draws.

I would checkraise the turn.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:48 PM

You don't say much about your oppponent on this one, but if he's reasonable, don't expect to see the 7.

I would alternate between two things on this one. I'd either play back at him on the flop with a 3-bet, or I'd call and check-raise the turn. The vast majority of the time I'd reraise the flop though, because he could be putting you on AK and is looking for a cheap river card. However, seeing that he bet out on the turn when a blank hit, you're most likely looking at a strong 10. Since you did choose to call the flop and check the turn, you should now check-raise and lead out on the river. If your opponent reraises you on the turn, I'd go into call-down mode. The 3-bet does not mean you are beat though. An overpair would just as likely 3-bet you as the unlikely 7 or TT.

My guess is you won this one, but even if you didn't, you should have played it stronger on the early streets.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:36 PM

looks like a ten. Most people would fold a hand with a seven, and the ones who wouldn't would wait till the turn to raise. Looks like a ten.

hope it wasn't 89s