Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2003, 09:07 PM

Default Controlling Tilt Online - Adjusting?

I've only been playing seriously for a few months now, solely online, and my major problem is how to not go on tilt. When I can keep a level head I can post steady gains throughout my session, even taking a bad beat with no real shock to the system. When these start to pile up, though, I start to lose my mind - and literally piss my money away before I can stop myself.

I revert into defensive check-call mode or super-agressive maniac mode and just dig myself deeper into tilt and piss my roll away. Do I just have to realize it and get up and walk away? Discipline on card selection - check. Discipline on emotions, especially online - a definite no check. I knew I should have walked away after my first stupid mistake, but I just couldn't. Does anyone have some help for how to get this under control?

On a similar note I think some of this comes from the differences between what I'm thinking about the hand and what the rest of the table is thinking. Like some things that I mean, they're basically only check-calling, so they shouldn't be that hard right? I've read HPFAP many times over and I just noticed something today about what Sklansky says about these loose games. Don't press your edge immediately, wait until the later streets to punish them, because your edge might not be there. They seem to be pathologically driven to suck out on you, and in the long run, that's probably a very good thing, but it adds into terrible swings when they river their Q6 two-pair to your AQ. How are people playing these loose low limit games when you can't really raise to thin the field in most cases? More suited connectors?

Thanks for any help and sorry this was the size of a novel.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Controlling Tilt Online - Adjusting?

Hi Max,

I think, at least on some sites, the micro’s are very tough. You didn’t say what limit you play. If it’s fairly low I would like to suggest the penny games (1/2) at UB. No joke, no insult intended. I think they are a great place to start.

If you want to play at a higher limit and it is affordable for you, I would start at $2/$4 at a site like UB or Paradise (no promo here, just the sites I play most often). Maybe I’m wrong, but in many ways, I think they are easier than the micro’s.

TC,
pf
Old 05-09-2003, 10:44 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

"Do I just have to realize it and get up and walk away?"

yes, why would you stay if you realize this?

read HPFAP again. particularly past page 150. great loose games section. sounds like you have a good start.

tailor your starting hands to the texture of the table.

b
Old 05-09-2003, 10:50 PM

hey...im diggin the weenie limit right now. hahaha

it's too funny. PENNIES!!!

almost ready to jump up a limit. if ya wanna learn to play loose games, id stay low on the money. it's cheaper to learn.

it's also realzing after getting pummelled today at the live game. only dragged 3 pots the whole time. wow, pinch me!

whoops...gotta get back to my game. gotta charge these chasers to draw again.

have fun

b
Old 05-09-2003, 11:03 PM

"yes, why would you stay if you realize this?"

I'm not sure exactly why I stay, it's just too much emotion I guess. Sometimes it will be something like "man, I just dropped $40 on this guy," and I start to almost get this demented revenge factor. That, of course, just drives me deeper into stupid plays.

I need to figure out a way to distance myself from the game a bit. Is there anything that anybody's found that works to not take the beat personally? Is it just adjusting your mindset, training yourself not to care? When I'm able to do that I play much better with much less swinging. I might try the penny tables out later just for some patience and discipline training.

Thanks,
Max
Old 05-09-2003, 11:09 PM

bernie,

I don’t think I get your post. I hate the micros! I almost quit playing poker because of the stinking $.50/$1 tables at Paradise!

There are other textures that I think are easier for a new player to deal with. Loose/nuts is not how I would choose to do it if I could start over again.

Loose/reasonable at the penny tables at UB is, IMHO, a very good place to start. See you there later kid. I’ll be the one raising 72o pre-flop!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

TC,
pf
Old 05-09-2003, 11:16 PM

why take the beat personally? put it this way, it's not the players fault he caught the card that beat you. paying, against the odds, all the way to catch it. again, it's not his fault he caught the card.

after awhile, nothing will really suprise you with what theyll call you with.

it is kind of like training yourself not to care. but knowing and believing why you want them to call and catch at times helps. do you really want them to fold with their hand prior to hindsight?

it's a tough hurdle that many players have problems getting over. some dont get over it. (table coaches come to mind) after awhile, you may find the idiot table coaches bellowing rather amusing. since theyre openly stating how f-ing stupid they are. it took me some time to get over that hurdle. heh heh, but now im kinda jaded to it as nothing suprises me. haha

that said, it is part of the normal progression of a player to go through what youre going through. the fact that you recognize it and want to do something about it puts you way ahead of the average player in that respect.

b
Old 05-09-2003, 11:23 PM

"There are other textures that I think are easier for a new player to deal with. Loose/nuts is not how I would choose to do it if I could start over again."

this has a valid point as far as playing a texture that youre present style is tailored to at this time. however...

would you rather learn to beat a texture you may come across at a higher limit at the higher limit? or learn it cheaply...

i think you have a point though in getting comfortable in one texture, then expanding once youre comfortable with it.

i learned the no foldems/cap happy's on play money table. this table wont happen as much on live games, but good to be ready. learned shorthanded on 5 max fake tables. (which is great for learning this type of game.)

it also never hurts to get a good start in building up that bad beat skin for when ya really get hammered time and time again. love those sessions.

b
Old 05-09-2003, 11:36 PM

learned shorthanded on 5 max fake tables. (which is great for learning this type of game.)

Same here and I always feel pretty comfortable when I get to the short-handed stage of a tourney. Watch out suckers!

it also never hurts to get a good start in building up that bad beat skin for when ya really get hammered time and time again. love those sessions.

You got me there. I just couldn’t take it anymore and fled to tighter tables, where I actually feel more comfortable. But, I'll have to face it eventually.

Seriously, if you ever want to play no-foldem at a UB penny table (the only place I’d dare face you, let me know), [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I’m on UB right now.

TC,
pf
Old 05-10-2003, 12:00 PM

If someone keeps sucking out on me with trash, and starts getting on my nerves, I just put a four-letter word starting with f in his player description, and that makes me feel better.
Ofcourse, I put this four-letter word in description of everyone who plays trash constantly.