Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Limit player very confused with AK postflop play. Help!

I've been raising many hands preflop and taking them down with 2/3 pot bets about 6 out of the last 12 hands. So I kind of felt like maybe he was trying to make a play on me?
I hate AK in no limit. In limit, AK is so much more profittable and easier to play. Any tips on how to play AKs would be appreciated. If 3 rags hit like J 7 2, you always make a continuation bet HU right?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

SB ($98.59)
BB ($44.25)
UTG ($69.15)
MP ($140)
Hero ($173.49)
Button ($68.30)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls $3.

Flop: ($11.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $12</font>, Hero calls $6.

Turn: ($35.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG bets $52.15 (All-In), Hero...??? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Final Pot: $87.65
Old 09-21-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Limit player very confused with AK postflop play. Help!

I would likely call and expect to take it away from A8
Old 09-21-2005, 04:01 PM

It is really hard without any read/PT stats on UTG.

Anyways, I only play full ring, but I would just call the EP raise in good position here with AK (6-max this might be standard re-raise, I'm no expert).

The check min-raise sets off alarm bells (but again it depends on the player). Against some I would fold right here, and others I would call.

I am definately folding the turn though.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been raising many hands preflop and taking them down with 2/3 pot bets about 6 out of the last 12 hands. So I kind of felt like maybe he was trying to make a play on me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful here. I don't know how many bad calls I've made because of the paranoia that someone was making a play on me based on my recent table image. There are plenty of LAGs in 6max that will do things like this, but unless you have a read usually assume that your opponent is playing his or her cards and not your table image.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is really hard without any read/PT stats on UTG.

Anyways, I only play full ring, but I would just call the EP raise in good position here with AK (6-max this might be standard re-raise, I'm no expert).

The check min-raise sets off alarm bells (but again it depends on the player). Against some I would fold right here, and others I would call.

I am definately folding the turn though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the reraise PF is fine, villain is min-raising. I'd probably make it $6.

Why bet ½ pot on when you bet 2/3 the other hands?

I call the min-raise, and see what the turn brings.

The turn is really difficult without any read on your opponent - against some players it's an instafold, as they bet their good hands far too strong.
But against the average donk I don't see a jack or AJ here - my guess would be he's on a missed flush draw here.
But without a read I'd probably fold, and wait for a better spot.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:55 AM

I see flop min-raises a lot as information getters rather than slow playing monsters. It's possible villain has AQ here and min-raised thinking you would re-raise him with AK. When you didn't, he thinks his AQ is good and pushes. Still a very tough decision. Does villain play AJ this way? He just made a full house on the turn and you don't seem too interested in your hand so it's likely you'll fold to a push. Likewise with JJ AA or 88. I think I might call this here.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:03 AM

Id call and expect to see another ace.