Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2003, 01:32 PM

Default Aces Cracked!

I'm a newb to this forum and holdem too for that matter. I'm wondering if I played this correctly though.

Yesterday, at the Palms, 2/4 game. I play pretty tight because I'm not confident in my skills yet. I get red Aces UTG+1. UTG limps, I raise, call, fold, call, rest fold to BB who calls, UTG calls.

Flop comes J [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, UTG checks, I bet, fold, call, BB and UTG fold. Just me and the MP player who seems to be a regular and must have noticed my tight play by now.

Turn comes J [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet, he raises, I reraise, he calls.

River comes 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

His action on the turn scared me, so I checked, he bet and I called to see his J [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] .

Bummer. Advice?
Thank you
Old 05-07-2003, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Aces Cracked!

Hi Nut--

The only surprise is that he didn't make it 4-bets on the turn. If I'm him, I'm thinking that you raised pre-flop, then bet the flop, so you have overcards or a big pair. Once the 2nd jack hits the turn (and I'm holding one), I can't see any hand that you have that beats mine. So I would go 4+ bets heads-up on the turn.

Bummer. Advice?

You played fine... as far as advice goes, continue to post questionable hands and read 2+2 daily. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2003, 01:47 PM

What did you think he had when he raised the turn after calling the flop?
Old 05-07-2003, 01:51 PM

I thought he had a jack, I thought it was worth seeing the river though.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:59 PM

If you put him on a J, why did you 3-bet the turn? You're lucky he didn't pop you again on the turn!
Old 05-07-2003, 02:09 PM

Ususally, when you've shown nothing but strength and you get popped on the turn, you usually are behind if all you have is top pair or an overpair. The only logical thing your opponent could have is a J here. I'd probably call his raise on the turn and hope to catch my 2 outer...not even sure if that would be justified considering the pot odds.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:23 PM

This seems to be the third or fourth time this happened to me. I put somebody on something that beats me and I turn out to be right. I just hate giving up a good hand when I'm deep into the pot. I guess this is a leak I need to fix, but was it so bad to want to see the river?
Old 05-07-2003, 02:34 PM

I think you are missing the point. Nobody is saying you should have folded (although you can certainly make that argument). They are questioning your 3-bet on the turn. If you think you are beat, but you want to see the river, it makes sense to thy and see it as cheaply as possible, doesn't it? You could have called his raise then called the river bet and saved youself a big bet, or even check called the turn and saved yourself 2 big bets if you really wanted to see the river.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:41 PM

I'd probably call his raise on the turn and hope to catch my 2 outer...not even sure if that would be justified considering the pot odds.

If you know he has a J, giving you only two outs then you are definitely not getting the odds to call. When the opponent raised, NutFlop was getting about 7-1 pot odds. His chances of hitting an A on the river are 23-1
Old 05-07-2003, 07:44 PM

Yeah, I know...what I meant was if it were me, I'd have a similar hard time as our hero letting go of those Aces and since he bet and was then raised, I'd probably call the extra BB and see the river which I'd check/fold. I think I was just trying to say, it's hard to let those Aces go. (something I'm working on myself)...