Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Odd question

OK I am playing 3/6 limit

I raise with AQh

SB reraises
BB folds
I call

flop
6,6,Th

BB bets
I call

Turn
Ac

BB bets
I raise
BB calls

River
5s

BB checks
I bet
BB calls

I win
he shows 88

and then says "nice chase"

I said I had the odds to call and see the turn. He then says it was heads up. I say so. He tells me to keep chasing? didn't i need to have around 4 -1 (3.2-1)pot odds and I believe it was offering me 8-1?? any insight would be great
Old 09-18-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Odd question

I'd call the turn and raise the river, but aside from that he's an idiot. Just smile and say "I play bad" and move onto the next hand. You gain nothing from arguing strategy at the table.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:59 PM

If your two overcards were completely clean you would need just under 7:1 to continue. No way they can be considered clean though as villian could hold AA,KK,QQ,TT,AK. So maybe figure about 3 outs or 15:1 pot odds to continue. I'm not sure how many [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] are showing by your post. If only one heart then you gain about 1 more out for you BD 3rd nut flush draw. That isn't going to change things much though.

This doesn't necessarily mean you should just fold everytime someone 3-bets you and you miss and don't have the odds to draw. Aggressive players may notice and start 3-betting you with poor holdings taking down the pot every 2 out of 3 times you miss the flop. Sometimes we need to make very marginal or slightly poor calls for the overall good of our game. Just be very selective and know why and who you are doing it against. I'm not sure how the rest of the forum will view my last statement.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:04 PM

We don't know where the OP raised AQ from, but it seems like this was a blind steal and defense situation. If he raised from the button, and was 3-bet from the SB, it's more than likely he has about 7.5 outs here on the flop.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:07 PM

Yeah I understand this point. My opponent has been raising and reraising with marginal hands also and rarely had shown good holdings. I figured my 2 overs were good against him. had it been a more solid player I would probably have raised here to see where I was or just folded. Yes there was a heart on the flop so I figured that I have an extra half to a full out
Old 09-18-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We don't know where the OP raised AQ from, but it seems like this was a blind steal and defense situation. If he raised from the button, and was 3-bet from the SB, it's more than likely he has about 7.5 outs here on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I wasn't looking at it as a steal situation as OP didn't specify.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:15 PM

Who the heck cares what the loser of a hand heckles you with? Don't play poker to impress your opponents. You can calculate what you needed here pretty easily, and it looks like you know how. Stop worrying.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:21 PM

sorry, I was at a table that was 6 handed at the moment. I was considering that, I was UTG+1 (middle position at a full table).
Old 09-18-2005, 05:47 PM

Don't argue with players at the table, you understood what you were doing. Say "I got lucky" or my personal Favorite "Me Dum". You're not here to earn respect, only money.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd call the turn and raise the river, but aside from that he's an idiot. Just smile and say "I play bad" and move onto the next hand. You gain nothing from arguing strategy at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my preferred line. Often, when you hit a good card on the turn but the two following things are true:

1. Your opponent still may well be ahead.

2. The turn card is an obvious scare card to which your opponent might fold if you raise;

then I think that waiting until the river to raise (rather than the turn) is better.

There are two advantages:

1. You likely get another bet out of an opponent with a lower pair, if not more.

2. Your opponent is not that likely to reraise the river with something like AK, and is more likely to reraise the turn than the river.

So, in general, raising the river earns more when ahead and possibly loses less when behind. (Here, you might not call a turn reraise, but by folding there you might forgo potential outs on the river).