Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 08:04 PM

Default TP vs. a TAG

villain here is like 27/22/3. I intended to let him fire away and then pop the river. yes?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Re: TP vs. a TAG

i think i pop the turn here more than the river.
But this board is fairly drawless and you could fold to a river 3 bet more than a turn 3 bet. I dont like the fact that you are letting him draw for cheaper, albeit he only has a few outs(most likely). If he is able to make this turn fold consistently than your line is better tho.
What do you do if an A hits the river or a J or a T. are you still raising the river?
For this paticular hand i think i like the way you played it
Old 09-17-2005, 09:08 PM

i usually pop the turn here. i don't mind taking down the 6 BB pot right then if he folds and i'd like him to pay an extra bet if he wants to see another card.

if the guy will continue to fire with a 10 on the river then it seems it could be ok, but he'd have to call your raise at that point. otherwise maybe he'll smell a rat and check especially if an overcard to the 10 comes.

i'd think he would be much more interested to see the river for an extra bet than pay off the river for an extra bet with something like a weak king or a 10 unless he improves (or if he has a set or 2 pair already).
Old 09-17-2005, 09:48 PM

Hi Bob. I usually pop the turn in these spots or sometimes even just 3bet the flop (indidcates less strength than popping the turn and will keep them in more often...sometimes looks like you're going for free card too).

I can see waiting till the river being a good play in certain situations, where all or most of the following criteria are met:

1) Villain will bluff a draw on the river (pretty common).
2) Villain will value bet weaker pairs on the river (pair of 5s for example), rather than check calling.
3) Villain would fold a pair of tens or worse to a turn checkraise but will either bet or check/call his weak hand on river.
4) Villain is less likely to 3bet a better hand on the river.

I have found that the preponderance of free showdown raises in this game make villains more apt to call down after the turn raise and also call a river bet b/c they can't fold once they've gotten that far. So I like raising turn usually.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:39 PM

I like your post mostly, but what good does it do us to wait until the river if villain will bluff his missed draw on the river (criteria #1)? He's certainly not going to call a raise if he missed. Better to raise the turn and charge his draw - you get two big bets from him either way, and maybe he makes a weak hand on the river and calls for 1 bet.