Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Tried Play poker like the pros strategy?

So, I bought Hellmuth's Play Poker Like the Pros about 6 months ago, read it, and didn't take the beginners hold em advice seriously enough to try it. Have any of you? I'm 3 hours into my first session trying it and it's working. Any experiences?
Old 09-17-2005, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Tried Play poker like the pros strategy?

Which holdem advice? The limit holdem advice is pretty terrible as I recall. The NL holdem advice is a bit better. The general consensus is that overall the book is not very good. It was one of the first books I read, and it at least taught me to play tight. I doubt you could be a winner at limit holdem using this books advice, but you won't play enough hands to be much of a loser either.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:34 PM

It was the first book i read when i was starting out at micro-limit limit holdem. So, i tried it. I remember thinking at one point "I don't get it, I cap preflop with 7s every time and yet I'm still losing, what am I doing wrong?" [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2005, 02:11 AM

You talking about the 'play the 10 best hands and fold everything else' strategy?
Old 09-18-2005, 03:06 AM

You weren't capping them often enough dude. Even when you play like an eagle, there are bad beats.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:16 AM

yes you cap pre-flop but did you remember to "ram and jam" the flop?
Old 09-18-2005, 12:42 PM

Just don't use Helmuth's book...its not very good at all...esp the limit holdem section which everyone's jokes are referring to. Get a copy of SSHE to start...and ask quesiton from there....Payce!
Old 09-19-2005, 08:38 PM

"Play Poker Like the Pros" was the first poker book I read when I took up the game a year and a half ago. I used the Top Ten Hands strategy faithfully at first. My brother, an experienced player, couldn't believe I was folding AJ and KQ every single time.

I can honestly say I was a consistent winner playing just those hands and, yes, that included capping with 77 preflop. I was playing at this point before I bought PokerTracker, so I can't compare my results then with my results now, and I don't know if playing 77 was a net winner back then. I do think that whatever hands you play using that system, in theory, should be played the same so as to give away as little information about your hand as possible.

I know 2+2ers love to knock Hellmuth, but his system worked for me. Even though I've read many 2+2 books since then and incorporate their advice, I still consider Hellmuth's book a money winner. When I filter his Top Ten Hands in PokerTracker, they account for a high percentage of my profits each month, and I suspect this is true for every poker player. To say that it is a money loser, I think, is patently false. For beginners, it's a good book. Is it a better book than the 2+2s? No, but it's marketed at different players.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Play Poker Like the Pros" was the first poker book I read when I took up the game a year and a half ago. I used the Top Ten Hands strategy faithfully at first. My brother, an experienced player, couldn't believe I was folding AJ and KQ every single time.

I can honestly say I was a consistent winner playing just those hands and, yes, that included capping with 77 preflop. I was playing at this point before I bought PokerTracker, so I can't compare my results then with my results now, and I don't know if playing 77 was a net winner back then. I do think that whatever hands you play using that system, in theory, should be played the same so as to give away as little information about your hand as possible.

I know 2+2ers love to knock Hellmuth, but his system worked for me. Even though I've read many 2+2 books since then and incorporate their advice, I still consider Hellmuth's book a money winner. When I filter his Top Ten Hands in PokerTracker, they account for a high percentage of my profits each month, and I suspect this is true for every poker player. To say that it is a money loser, I think, is patently false. For beginners, it's a good book. Is it a better book than the 2+2s? No, but it's marketed at different players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent post.