Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2003, 10:59 AM

Default Just keep betting with this set

Wacky, loose online LL table, with a couple of loose aggressives, 9 handed:

I raise UTG with J [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] . UTG+1 calls, all call except 1 MP, and SB, 8 to the turn.

Flop is 5[img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]. BB checks, I bet, UTG+1 raises, next 4 call, button raises, BB folds, I cap, all call. Now 7 players.

Turn is 7[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] (5[img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]). I bet, 5 callers, button raises, I raise, MP1 calls all-in, 4 other callers, button caps, all call.

River is 2[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] (7[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]). I bet, next 2 fold (finally!), MP calls, next folds, button just calls (finally!). Total pot is like 50 BB.

Did I miss a bet? Can you guess what the others had?

Old 05-02-2003, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Just keep betting with this set

Did I miss a bet?

I don't understand. You bet and raised at every opportunity. How could you have missed a bet?

I would have played it the same way. You are only losing to 1 hand, KK. There are no straights or flushes. There was no 3 bet pre-flop, you have the best hand.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:34 AM

Did the button have KJ?
Old 05-02-2003, 11:58 AM

Well, obviously you didn't miss anything you bet/raised whenever you could. No need to slowplay or get tricky when the pot is that huge. I wouldn't fear KK too much, as it would have been 3 bet preflop and would have reraised the turn. You're way good. Button had a K, overplayed AK or KJs.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:00 PM

I bet, next 2 fold (finally!)

Why on earth would you want them to fold? You have the 2nd nust and there's a very good chance that button doesn't have KK. I never want players to fold when I know they have them beat.

I'd say button has 55. MP has KJ.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:28 PM

I didn't *want* them to fold. *I* just would have folded whatever flush or other draw they had long ago.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Results - Just keep betting with this set

Yep, you guys are good:

Button has K[img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] for top two, all-in had 5[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] for the underset, and MP had A[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] for a pair of sevens.

Played at this table for 1.5 hours, won exactly 1 hand, took a couple of bad beats and came away about 30 BB ahead.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:05 PM

Is it that over played if its AhKh?
Old 05-02-2003, 03:25 PM

"Did I miss a bet?" Right. Check-raising the river would have worked but you are out-of-position vis-a-vis the better (button), which would force the potential callers to face 2 bets.

Yup, just flail away with sets most of the time.

Know what I like best about this post? You didn't say "I was afraid someone had a set of Kings" or "I was worried about someone making the flush" or "I got a Viagara when I saw the river 2" or "I just couldn't figure out what everyone could possibly have, so I checked" or "My hand was so obvious they couldn't possibly pay it off, so I checked" or "the turn was some small card but it doesn't matter" or "OK, I figured I had the best hand but was worried about the best way to play it. I really don't know how the button plays or what he's thinking; in fact I've been here at this table for an hour and have no idea how ANYBODY plays, so I really didn't know what to do. I was wonding if EP3 really had QT and what that does to my chances. I wanted to bet, but I figured I'd lose more money that way if I lost. So I decided to wait until the river to see if I should take a chance on raising. I won the pot so I must have made the right decision."

- Louie