Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 03:18 PM

Default scared of overcards

I had some trouble lately with overcards, SB is LAP and MP1 is LPP. Since I was drawing to only two 10's I folded this hand. Not sure though if it was correct.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB
Old 09-13-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: scared of overcards

who says you're only drawing to 2.5 outs (.5 add for goofy SD)? does SB ONLY bet TP? answer that question and then make a decision after that.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:23 PM

This is my way of doing things and I could be wrong if I am someone comment because this could be a leak. If I raise preflop and the board isn't paired on the flop I am almost always good for another bet.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:30 PM

I didn't have much of a tell on him, but thinking about it, he probably would have also bet overcards having no pair. I guess I answered my question then.
But in general, if don't have a read on the guy, would you fold a hand like TT to a bet on a board w/ overcards?
Old 09-13-2005, 03:43 PM

No, raise these TT preflop. If there is a bet with over cards on the board call. If turn doesn't improve your hand i would probably fold.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If there is a bet with over cards on the board call

[/ QUOTE ]

this is too simplistic of an approach. # of players in the hand, where the bet came from, texture of the board all go in to the decision.

on this rag board, it is possible villain is betting less than TP here, so i'd raise to fold the player behind me and see what happens.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:05 PM

For sake of discussion let's say board flops A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] same PP same action what are you thinking now? I agree with the fact that my approach was simple and appreciat the comment.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:08 PM

I think this is really really bad. Like they say, they always put you on ace king. He could be donking out with any piece of the board or a draw. Raise it up, hopefully knocking out MP1. If the flop is an ace and you get donked out to, that usually means they have a weak ace.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:23 PM

if you're going to post this kind of hand, kindly don't include the turn where you would have hit your set, or the river where we find out the flop bettor wins without showing.

stop the action on your flop action, because that's where your question is, and that's where all the pertinent information available to you at the time is at hand.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:46 PM

Yeah, I know, turn and river aren't really relevant anymore. Didn't know this would be an issue though.
I think I agree that raising is the best play here. If I just call and don't improve on the turn (which is very likely in this case) then I'll face the same situation on the river...