Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Celebrity Poker - A Lesson in Tells

I was flipping through the channels over the weekend and stumbled upon Celebrity Poker on Bravo, a show I've seen before but never really gave too much attention to. Anyway, I started watching it a bit and was amazed at how many classic (as well as not-so-classic) tells were exhibited in those tournaments. Granted, they are not professional poker players but I think that is where the value of watching this show from time to time comes from. It could almost pass as a "practice" video for Mike Caro's book on poker tells. And what I found interesting was that a lot of times the people on these shows are actors yet they still wear their tells (mostly falling under the broad category strong means weak and weak means strong) "like signs around their necks." So, the next time you're channel surfing looking for some "real" poker, don't immediately write off Celebrity Poker. Rather, use it as a visual reminder for those classic poker tells that the general population seems to inherently display.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Celebrity Poker - A Lesson in Tells

I saw and thought the same as you sonofjen, it was classic, I couldn't help but think if any one of them had a clue at poker how easy it would be to clean the table
Old 09-12-2005, 08:08 PM

Unless the celebrities are hilarious, I have trouble watching celebrity poker. It makes me want to cry they are so terrible.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:13 AM

Tells? How about the WSOP?

ESPN today ran their "Best bluffs of 2003." Early in the show, they quote Mike Caro saying one big tell of a bluff is covering your mouth. Then they go to the "bluff of the century," and what do you know, Moneymaker is covering his mouth the whole time.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

ESPN today ran their "Best bluffs of 2003." Early in the show, they quote Mike Caro saying one big tell of a bluff is covering your mouth. Then they go to the "bluff of the century," and what do you know, Moneymaker is covering his mouth the whole time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love covering my mouth to induce calls from "smart guys" who watch poker on tv. Great times, I think its made me a fair bit of money from learned-donks.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love covering my mouth to induce calls from "smart guys" who watch poker on tv. Great times, I think its made me a fair bit of money from learned-donks.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are probably not calling b/c of the tell, they are probably calling b/c they suck at poker.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Moneymaker did this every hand of that WSOP. I do the same - every hand, no matter what I have. It prevents my mouth from providing a tell, like smiling if they try and talk a tell out of me.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Moneymaker did this every hand of that WSOP. I do the same - every hand, no matter what I have. It prevents my mouth from providing a tell, like smiling if they try and talk a tell out of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually really good. I should try this sometime.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw and thought the same as you sonofjen, it was classic, I couldn't help but think if any one of them had a clue at poker how easy it would be to clean the table

[/ QUOTE ]

Not Mekhi Phifer, he's a luckbox.