Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2003, 03:32 PM

Default More river madness

I don't know. Some decisions seem so easy to me, but seem like madness to you guys. I can't imagine not betting in this situation:

2 4 game, big pots, easy opponents

I'm in the BB and get my cash cow: K [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] . 2 EP limp, an EP checks his post(he missed the blinds), SB folds.

Flop: A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] j [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

Checked around

Turn: 10 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

Checked around

River: J [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet.

What do you think of the bet and my chances of getting called by a worse hand? Routine? Thin? Bad?
Old 04-27-2003, 03:41 PM

Default Re: More river madness

I think the odds of getting called by a worse hand are pretty low. But, the odds of everyone folding don’t look too bad.
Old 04-27-2003, 04:10 PM

I would bet out hoping everyone will fold. I would say your chances of getting called by a worse hand are slim to none. I can't see anybody calling without atleast a spade and pretty much every spade out there is larger than yours.
Old 04-27-2003, 04:13 PM

I'm disgusted and I don't say that often.

Do you think you'll be called by the deuce or trey of spades? Do you think a non-spade will call?

"Your name's Lebowski Lebowski. Your wife is Bunny."
Old 04-27-2003, 04:58 PM

Only rarely would a non-spade call here. There is just too high a likelihood someone has a spade. And any of the 13 spades (1/4 of the entire deck remember) beats any non-flush hand with this board.

I think this is a case where you'll only get called by better hands and hence you should check. Calling the river if someone else bets is even questionable, unless you're fairly sure he's bluffing.

-Scott
Old 04-27-2003, 05:10 PM

I disagree with everyone else. Worse hands will definitely call (and sometimes better hands will call/raise, but not as often). It is highly likely that no one else has a flush. Most of these opponents would bet with flush draws on the flop and with made flushes, no matter how small, on the turn. The only hands you should be worried about are JT and J8. These hands will raise and you should of course fold. More often though, you will be called by hands such as Ax, Jx, and maybe even Tx. They will not believe that you have a flush and/or will be curious to see what the hell you were betting with.

Don't get me wrong, this is a thin value bet, but I definitely think it is a bet. Those of you who think Inthacup is insane aren't familiar with the Party 2/4 games (I hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot by assuming you were playing at Party). These people are truly retarded.

-- Homer
Old 04-27-2003, 05:15 PM

I'm disgusted and I don't say that often.

I'm disgusted that you're disgusted. At most you should be incredulous or slightly perturbed.

Do you think you'll be called by the deuce or trey of spades?

Seriously? Yes, yes he will. Absolutely. This is Party 2/4. He will often be called by a hand as shitty as Tx.

The beauty of this the bet is that the crappy players would have bet their spade, no matter how low, on the turn. The good players would not, and they may now fold their mediocre spade to the river bet. So it kind of works as a bluff against good players and a value bet against typical players.

Do you think a non-spade will call?

See above.

-- Homer
Old 04-27-2003, 10:33 PM

Check, and you don't mind a bet...hopefully from the last to act. This is a bet that can never be right IMO. You could be winning 95% of the time, but you still don't bet.
Old 04-27-2003, 10:34 PM

I agree with Homer. I think that this bet is a thin value bet at that limit. I also think that there is some possibility that a middle singleton spade might fold here.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:05 PM

This is a bet, and I don't think it's a particularly thin one. An ace will call. A jack will call. There's a chance you could fold a spade between 5 and 7, and no one holds anything higher.