Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 01:49 AM

Default My $1000 hand! (lc)

This is the hand that put me over $1000 for my party poker bankroll, on September 7, 2005. No, it's not a thousand-dollar hand, but it put me over the $1K mark for the first time! At the very least, I hope this inspires slight winning SSNL players to reach the same goal. Press on!

I'm sure nobody cares but I think it's cool to know what hand put you over a "milestone". My next update will be at $2k.

#Game No : 2672987024
***** Hand History for Game 2672987024 *****
$25 NL Texas Hold'em - Wednesday, September 07, 21:54:58 EDT 2005
Table Table 36715 (6 max) (Real Money)
Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 3: HERO ( $56.65 )
Seat 6: CrazyChan ( $19.22 )
Seat 5: ervin1022 ( $54.20 )
Seat 4: DofLG ( $18.05 )
Seat 1: chpnaprayer ( $17.40 )
ervin1022 posts small blind [$0.10].
CrazyChan posts big blind [$0.25].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ Qc As ]
chpnaprayer folds.
HERO raises [$0.50].
DofLG folds.
ervin1022 calls [$0.40].
CrazyChan calls [$0.25].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Jc, 3h, Ac ]
ervin1022 checks.
CrazyChan checks.
HERO bets [$1].
ervin1022 calls [$1].
CrazyChan folds.
** Dealing Turn ** [ Kd ]
ervin1022 checks.
HERO bets [$1.50].
ervin1022 calls [$1.50].
** Dealing River ** [ Ks ]
ervin1022 checks.
HERO bets [$2].
ervin1022 calls [$2].
HERO shows [ Qc, As ] two pairs, aces and kings.
ervin1022 doesn't show [ Jd, 6d ] two pairs, kings and jacks.
HERO wins $10 from the main pot with two pairs, aces and kings.

This put me at $1000.92, up from my $100 deposit back in January! My roll was never over $274 until early July, when I switched from the hell that is "7-people-to-a-flop" .5/1 limit and $5+$1 3-table NL SNG's and discovered the profitability of 25nl 6-max. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'd gotten up to $980 a couple weeks ago then moved up to NL50 and got hit hard (maybe b/c I was cursed for moving up with only 19.6 buy-in's instead of 20? lol) then went back down to NL25 and took horrendous bad beats and was at $764 just 2 weeks ago then I got up to $994 three nights ago... only to go on a 200+bb downswing that sent me to $940.

I started to think that psychologically, I couldn't break the 4-digit barrier but I did last night and I'm probably overly excited but hey who cares?

I'm now giving NL50 another go and logged 350 hands tonight and was -$13, but I felt a lot more comfortable throwing larger bets out than I did my first "callup". This run includes me getting stacked with KK heads up vs. QJ on a JxJ flop... groan. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Flame away if you dislike my play of the hand...this was during a 3-tabling so I'm sure I wasn't playing it optimally. Oh, yvesaint will flame me for minraising preflop [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2005, 02:59 AM

Default Re: My $1000 hand! (lc)

congrats on breaking the 1k mark!!! seriously i was extremely excited when i did this too.

However, in between 1k and 2k, post some hands for discussion- i swear it'll make you at least 5x the player you are today.

ps.i started in january too, seems so long ago doesn't it?
Old 09-09-2005, 10:48 AM

Well, anything that makes me 5x the player I am today will certainly help.

I should hit 2K within a couple months. I was at $550 on August 8th, and thus, made $450 in exactly 1 month at the 25Nl tables (2-4 tabling). This last month is the first time I really started grinding away, averaging probably 300-400 hands per day. I don't get to play much due to my 9-5, my full-time girlfriend, baseball season, 13 vacation days thrown in there since January and the fact that I just straight up didn't play for like 3 weeks in late July/early August when I was in the process of moving.

I wasted a crapload of time when I first started playing .5/1 limit, too. What a waste. I'm just not the same at limit as No limit, plus trying to "learn" to play limit on party's .5/1 is just pointless, IMO. I've basically grinded from about $200 up to $1000 since late June.

Now that I'm at NL50, like I said, $2k shouldn't be more than a couple months away.

Since you asked, here's a hand from memory last night:

Opponent (villain) two seats to my right has been seemingly raising often PF, and betting on any flop...taking down a lot of pots. He hasn't been here long, but I get the impression that he thinks he can "bully the table". We each have about $50 to start the hand.

Cut to my hand UTG... I get KK. BB is .50, I raise 4.5xbb to $2.25 (b/c the only other guy raising PF was villain so I didn't want to kill all the action by raising more than 4xbb, especially from UTG). Folds around to villain in the SB, who calls the extra $2. BB folds.

($5 pot) Flop is J6J (two diamonds). He checks, I bet out $3. He calls. Turn card is an Q (non-diamond). ($11 pot). He checks, I fire out $4. He raises to $10 (leaving him about $35 left).

At this point I paused and thought things through...I gave him credit for being the type of opponent who would try to represent trips that he can fairly safely assume I don't have. Maybe his goal is to C/R this turn, getting a call from me, and then he'll push any river since he had plenty left to buy the pot? I also figured he may have a strong flush draw, and was trying to build the pot now in case he hits the river, b/c he may not get great action from me on the river if another diamond falls. Also, he could be putting me on AK continuation bets..

At any rate, all of these thoughts went through my head and I figured the chance that he has a Jack is slim. So I pushed all in over the top (in case HE has an A, I don't want him to see the river).

He called and showed QJoff to take down the $100 pot. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

What did I do wrong here? I berated him for calling a raise PF heads up with QJ off, and his reply was, "You need to raise to $5 on this table"

WTF??
Old 09-09-2005, 10:57 AM

Check behind on the turn and don't berate villain for doing stuff you want him to continue doing.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I berated him for calling a raise PF heads up with QJ off

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont do this. As one who struggles with not doing it, its pointless.

[ QUOTE ]
and his reply was, "You need to raise to $5 on this table"

[/ QUOTE ]

That isnt an entirely bad point on his part. If too many people are calling your "standard raise" than take it up a notch. Also, dont you want QJo calling you when you raise with KK?
Old 09-09-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
($5 pot) Flop is J6J (two diamonds). He checks, I bet out $3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't you want to bet more here? If a guy calls, how do you know he doesn't just have a flush draw? If you bet the pot or more wouldn't you reduce the likelihood of someone calling with just a draw so you can better put him on a more dangerous hand?
Old 09-09-2005, 11:35 AM

Do I want to push out a flush draw on this flop? He's going to hit it about 1/3 of the time by the river, and we're playing heads up so any call he makes is -EV for him. Plus, if he makes his flush and I boat up, I probably stack him.

But yes, his suggestion was that I bet $6 on the $5 flop-pot
Old 09-09-2005, 11:43 AM

Congrats on making it up to NL50.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:59 AM

Why thank you. I've logged over 1k hands up here in the past, but I don't plan on moving back down again.

I'm in A-ball now, I don't want to demote myself back down to the Rookie League!
Old 09-09-2005, 12:13 PM

When you have an overpair to a paired board that contains a high pair and a rag (such as the JJ6 in this scenario), your goal is to get to showdown as cheaply as possible. In position, the best way to accomplish this is to make a standard bet on the flop, check behind on the turn and call a river bet.

Checking behind on the turn has several advantages. First, it keeps your opponent from checkraising. Second, it keeps the pot small, which keeps any potential river bet from your opponent small. Third, it hides the strength of your hand, which induces your opponent to bluff the river. This is why you should call a river bet.

If the board has a lower pair and a high card (such as 44Q), you can play a bit more aggressively since your opponent will likely call down with a queen, and it is less likely that he has trips. In this situation, a bet on the turn would be good.