Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 06:20 PM

Default Good protein shakes for losing weight?

Topic says it all. I want something delicious and optimal for weight loss.

Go.

Old 09-08-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Good protein shakes for losing weight?

I'd like to add an adednum to this post, please recomend some good protein shakes for gaining weight as well.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:31 PM

Protein shakes are merely dietary supplements. Weight loss comes from hard work in the gym; protein shakes simply help by building your muscles which in turn burn more calories as they become stronger. But I'm sure you already knew that. There is no protein shakes that are "optimal for weight loss."

I use Myoplex Deluxe, it does not taste bad and has 100% DV of protein as well as a crapload of other vitamins, etc. Tons of fiber and Glutamine as well.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:36 PM

get the basic metrx stuff.

the best way to lose weight is

1. change your diet. eat more fruit, less fatty foods, and less foods with artificial and processed sugar. sugar is not bad for you, its great, just not the processed stuff in pixie sticks or sour power straws. if you are serious about excercising, eat lots and lots of carbs, bread, pasta, etc. eat a big meal in the morning, 3 hours before you excercise. eat a grain cereal, special k, something like that. shredded wheat squares with strawberries/raspberries/blueberries which i add is great for me.

2. excercise. start running and lifting weights. lifting weights will help you increase muscle mass, and muscle adds to your metabolism. find out your optimal working heartrate and do something (cycling, running) that keeps your heartrate there for 40 minutes. get a heart rate monitor, you have no idea how much this helps. build up to this, start at 10 minutes or 2 miles and build. after 30 minutes of work at a certain heartrate your body will start to burn fat instead of the fast sugar available to your body.

youre not going to lose weight and be healthy without excercising, theres no easy way around it. and dont listen to the atkins bullshit.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:37 PM

protein helps build muscle not lose weight.

Just go to GNC and ask for some dietary supplements or run your ars around the block a couple times!
Old 09-08-2005, 06:37 PM

Dymatize Elite Whey is pretty good. Around $25 for 5.5 lb tub. Personal favorite is Orange Dreamsicle. This is just a whey shake, so there's no carbs but it's not ideal for a meal replacement - it's primarily used for after you lift.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/dym/elite.html

Syntax Nectar is another good zero carb whey shake, but I've never tried it (I'm a cheap bastard). It's supposed to be the best tasting around, but it's also more expensive.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/syn/nectar.html

Syntrax Matrix is pretty cheap, and the chocolate tastes good. It's also low carb, but it's a slower digesting protein than Dymatize and Nectar because of the egg and casein.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/syn/matrix.html

For a pure meal replacement (mix of protein/carbs/fat), I like Prolab Lean Mass Matrix. Oatmeal Cinnamon is the best tasting, Chocolate isn't bad, Vanilla sucks.
http://www.bulknutrition.com/?products_id=344

There's much more out there, but those are the ones that I am most familiar with.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:40 PM

Also, everyone else is right. My advice above assumes you are already lifting, doing cardio, and eating properly. Otherwise, all the protein shakes in the world won't do a damn thing.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:40 PM

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet.

Swede
Old 09-08-2005, 06:43 PM

I think you guys need the dennis rodman shake.... After having a dic in your mouth you won't be able to keep food down = instant weight loss, unless your gay and then I don't know what you should do....
Old 09-08-2005, 07:30 PM

i am on an extremely healthy low calorie diet and have been losing weight regularly over the past several months. my diet is a long-term plan not a short-term fad. i dont see how you guys say that you cant lose weight without exercise. thats a load of crap. its calories in calories out, and i am intaking less calories then i burn.

from my understanding, slim protein shakes are designed to help people lose weight, because they are low in calorie but high in protein. protein is known to have a heavier weight per mass in comparison to low protein foods. as a result, foods with high protein are more filling. by drinking protein shakes, you are filling yourself up while intaking less calories. that is a sure way to lose weight.

id just like to know which brands of protein shakes are the best for what im looking for, and which ones are tasty. i dont have any knowledge of brands and such so im looking for guidance.