Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 01:44 PM

Default too early to move to $2/4

I've been playing Party .50/1 for about 3 months and took advantage of several bonuses, so my total bankroll is about $1500. I've been beating .50/1 for over 2 months now and was thinking of moving up, since my bankroll would definitely allow it. After browsing through some forums and also according to my PT database, it seems that 1/2 is actually a little tighter than 2/4...maybe because of all the bonus clearing going on at 1/2.
For 2/4, I have a about 400BB, which should be enough, it might just be my lack of long term experience that would not make this a smart move. Should I stay at my current limit, even though my bankroll is larger than that?
Old 09-08-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: too early to move to $2/4

If you want to move up you should just do it. The players at 2/4 aren't somehow magically better than the players at .5/1. There are just a little less of the magically horrible ones at 2/4. The worse thing that can happen to you if you try 2/4 is you could lose some money. Give it a shot and if you don't like it you can always move back down.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:59 PM

Take a shot. Take 50 or 100 bbs and try it. Analyze your sessions carefully with an eye towards adjustments you will have to make to your game. Hopefully you will run well and never look back. IF it doesnt go well take your 1000 bbs or so back to .5/1 and work on your game a little and try again.

For me anyway, there is no faster way to improve my game than to try a higher limit. Playing against better players for more money really accelerates the learning curve.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:06 PM

These are the replies I was hoping to get, thanks. So, Bluffoon, it seems like you would totally skip 1/2, even when moving back?
Old 09-08-2005, 02:22 PM

What moving back Just kick ass and dont look back [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The 2/4's can be wild.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These are the replies I was hoping to get, thanks. So, Bluffoon, it seems like you would totally skip 1/2, even when moving back?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a bankroll for 2/4 so I would take my shot there. If it didn't work out I would have a list of skills I needed to work on and adjustments that I needed to make to my game and I would make those where I was comfortable (.5/1) and move up as soon as I thought I was set. If I had the bankroll I would go right back to 2/4.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:53 PM

I would also suggest that you try 1/2 6max. There are many skills around blind play and aggressiveness that you will definitately need as you progress through the ranks.

Good Luck
Old 09-08-2005, 03:06 PM

isn't it a big adjustment though? What adjustments should I make for 6 max?
Old 09-09-2005, 01:37 AM

play the bad beat...though the rake is higher...the play is worse than a straight 2/4.

To find the fish, you have to think like the fish and what else could a fish want but a minimal chance at a large pot.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
play the bad beat...though the rake is higher...the play is worse than a straight 2/4.

[/ QUOTE ]

what exactly do you mean by that...play the bad beat

what adjustments would you make when moving up to 2/4? What PT stats should I analyze etc...

Thanks