Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2003, 07:49 PM

Default Wait a minute, I folded the winner

Same 2 4 game as last post.

I have Q [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] on the button. UTG limps, LP limps, I raise, BB calls, UTG calls, LP calls.

Flop: 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

Checked to me, I bet, UTG calls, LP calls.

Turn: 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to me, I check

River: 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

UTG checks, LP bets, I fold, UTG calls

They both show K10un and split the pot. I feel like I something wrong here. Comments welcome.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Wait a minute, I folded the winner

I think you should have bet the turn and if not that then call the river. You indicated you don't have top pair by checking the turn so someone may feel a pair of tens is good. You opened yourself up to bluffs by checking the turn so you probably should have called the river.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:05 PM

Reading your last few posts, your thinking seems muddled. You're betting, calling and raising out of position w/ small underpairs. Now, you're on the button and you check the turn and fold the river with an Ace on the board even though nobody bet or raised the flop.

In this hand, I'm either betting the turn or calling the river. With the flush draw out there, I think betting the turn is better, as you'll get paid off by worse hands that won't pay you on the river. If I get checkraised on the turn, I'll lay down. I'm likely to get checked to on the river, where I'll check behind.
Old 04-26-2003, 02:40 AM

Yep, I think you can take this hand to the river with one bet, and that bet should be made on the turn. Two ways to win that one [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2003, 03:20 AM

You should probably bet the turn given that there are two hearts on board. On a rainbow board, I could see checking.

But you didn't play the hand terrible. I don't agree with the people who say you should call the river given the 4 card straight, potential flush, and overcard.
Old 04-26-2003, 03:04 PM

I think this is a classic case of inducing the bluff, then forgetting to call, although I'm sure someone already pointed this out.
Old 04-26-2003, 04:08 PM

Another bunch of good replies.

You can only fold this hand against the tightest ..err.. unassertive of players. They each had 3 chances to assert themselves if they had an Ace, but did not. There are plenty of non-Ace hands they can have (KT, QJ, flush draw). You induced a bluff by checking the turn.

This is a MUCH different situation than, say, they had check-raised you on the flop and bet the turn.

- Louie