Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Bluff or not bluff?
Bluff 11 19.30%
Not Bluff 46 80.70%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2005, 05:54 AM

Default If Sklansky became a born again Christian...

After the luck post and seeing how many folks thought that NO event could change this mans mind, I thought this would be a curious question.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:00 AM

Default Re: If Sklansky became a born again Christian...

I voted 1, I think a bit of illogic would do the man good.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:37 PM

If he suddenly believe in a christian god I would lose a great deal of respect for him and his ability to think logically.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he suddenly believe in a christian god I would lose a great deal of respect for him and his ability to think logically.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I said I would wager on Sklansky never believing, even if deep down he wanted to, because of his "reputation".

Yet he insists this is wrong, who knows?
Old 09-09-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I said I would wager on Sklansky never believing, even if deep down he wanted to, because of his "reputation".

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems pretty unfair. DS has been consistent in his intellectual honesty as far as I can tell. I think if he believed in God he would not deny it for sake of reputation, which seems absurd ("I'll deny my God and the reward of salvation which nI now believe in just so some punks in an internet forum will still think I'm cool.") But believe what you wish.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:34 PM

What's a born again Christian exactly? Do you have to be a particular denomination, or one of a group of denominationls, like Protestant, to be one. Or is it its own denomination?
Old 09-09-2005, 08:33 PM

That is a term almost exclusively used by evangelical protestants. It refers to Jesus' instruction that you must be born again of the water and spirit in order to be saved. More specifically it refers to what happens when you are baptized which they only do with older children and adults, unlike catholics and other protestant churches that baptize infants. It also has connotations of the doctrine of "once saved always saved", which means that after being born again no matter how degernate you might become later, you are still saved. Unless of course you weren't "truly saved" to begin with (another nice example of circular reasoning).
Old 09-09-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems pretty unfair. DS has been consistent in his intellectual honesty as far as I can tell. I think if he believed in God he would not deny it for sake of reputation, which seems absurd ("I'll deny my God and the reward of salvation which nI now believe in just so some punks in an internet forum will still think I'm cool.") But believe what you wish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice try.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:59 PM

I voted look into christianity a bit more.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is a term almost exclusively used by evangelical protestants. It refers to Jesus' instruction that you must be born again of the water and spirit in order to be saved. More specifically it refers to what happens when you are baptized which they only do with older children and adults, unlike catholics and other protestant churches that baptize infants. It also has connotations of the doctrine of "once saved always saved", which means that after being born again no matter how degernate you might become later, you are still saved. Unless of course you weren't "truly saved" to begin with (another nice example of circular reasoning).

[/ QUOTE ]

That is incorrect.

The term being "Born again" isn't necessarily linked to baptism, although after conversion baptism when one feels they wish to is the prefered route to symbolize their new life.

Being "born again" is as simple as accepting Jesus as your saviour. It usually involves a prayer to God where you acknowledge you are a sinner, believe Jesus is the son of God and died for your sins, and you want to accept him as your saviour.

If you do this, you are said to be "born again" as your sins are washed away with the blood of the lamb. (sacrifice)