Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 11:04 PM

Default T9s Gutshot Flush Draw

Well, how do you like it? Would you estimate that a drawing hand like this has ~35% pot equity? If not, how much?

Also, since the UTG villain only had $8 or 32BB, the preflop call was getting good implied odds, correct?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

BB ($46.13)
UTG ($8)
MP ($22.85)
Hero ($26.60)
SB ($19.35)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $0.25. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
UTG (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.25, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls $6.75 (All-In), Hero calls $4.75.

Final Pot: $16.50
Old 09-07-2005, 11:15 PM

Default Re: T9s Gutshot Flush Draw

Uh, I think you got the meaning of 'implied odds' mixed up. Implied odds means that although it might cost 1-4BB to see the flop with a marginal hand, that marginal hand can flop well and win 100+ BB. Implied odds are almost non-existent with short stacks.

A good example of implied odds would be if you and your opponent both had $60 in front of you at 25 NL, he raised UTG to 4xBB which you know is AA-QQ, AK, and you called on Button with 67s. That's implied odds - you hit 2-pair, trips, straight, flush, big draw, you can get $60 for a $1 investment against a well-defined hand.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uh, I think you got the meaning of 'implied odds' mixed up. Implied odds means that although it might cost 1-4BB to see the flop with a marginal hand, that marginal hand can flop well and win 100+ BB. Implied odds are almost non-existent with short stacks.

A good example of implied odds would be if you and your opponent both had $60 in front of you at 25 NL, he raised UTG to 4xBB which you know is AA-QQ, AK, and you called on Button with 67s. That's implied odds - you hit 2-pair, trips, straight, flush, big draw, you can get $60 for a $1 investment against a well-defined hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's what I thought it was, I think. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Hmm... so calling with 1xBB to potentially win 32xBB (his $8 stack) is thinking about it the wrong way?

Also with the $46 stack on the BB, the implied odds are there to make a call with this hand preflop, right?
Old 09-07-2005, 11:28 PM

It's still iffy. You have no idea what BB is holding - it could be something that drops to any bet on most flops, or something else. Implied odds come into play more when you are against a defined strong hand, such as a high pocket pair. There is no suggestion that BB likes his hand, or is even going to stay past any flop that doesn't hit him hard.

EDIT: Also, his $46 stack doesn't matter at all because you only have $26 in your stack. You can't get that extra $20 no matter how hard you bet, sorry [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2005, 11:34 PM

Ok, I guess this should be folded preflop then? Or raise in an attempt to steal?

I guess what I'm trying to do (which may be completely stupid) is move away from a thinking process of "Play this hand in this position" towards a "play this hand with regards to the stack sizes I'm up against".
Old 09-08-2005, 12:03 AM

I definitely fold this pre... unless you have some reason to believe a steal has a high chance of succeeding (which is rare at those games).

The fact that there is such a short stack makes stealing uncomfortable though, short stacks are too likely to just push all-in with a wide range of hands.