Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 09:41 PM

Default the mentality of whales

i play the 10sngs at stars and have noticed a lot of raises of 3 to 4x the bb in the first round. the player who makes this raise usually has something like AT or KQs. This alone drives me nuts. How can I call a 4xbb at a full tablw with ajo? I just can't do it. But what amazes me is what players will call 3x or 4x the bb with in the first round. Ive seen people call with JT and Q9s.

I guess what im wondering is why am I writing this in the psychology forum. This preflop betting in the early rounds of the 10s at stars is driving me nuts. I really like to see cheap flops with suited connectors and pairs but it seemd every time i limped for 20 some donkey would bet 100 out of one of the blinds and there go my pot odds. Now your probably saying that its a good play if he makes me fold, but mostly everyone else goes ahead and calls for another 80. So he actually just sweetens the pot cuz everyone calls but me.

The reason why im writing this in the psych forum is because i hate the player that makes this raise with just an ok hand. I despise the whale who bets me off my nice suited connector or small pair.

Another thing i noticed about the 10s at stars in the early rounds is that people will check a flush draw witht he intention of never letting go of there hand. Someone will go all in with top pair and they'll call INSTANTLY with the wrong pot odds.

They also call instantly with those bets i was just talking about earlier. If you limp with kj in the 1st round and some guy bets 100 wouldn't you pause for at least 2 seconds before calling? Would you call in the first place. I hope not. But they just insta call and if a k or j hits on the flop watch out, cuz theyre gonna check call you.

Thats the other thing that drives me nuts they dont bet they call. If you to go all in why not go all in first and at least have some folding equity?

I guess i shouldnt complain. I made $50 today and i consistently beat the $10 sng at stars, but it's when these guys draw out on me i just lose it, it doesnt matter how much i won that day.

I guess the main point of this post is how do you not truly hate your opponents. My whole outlook on people in general and society has blackened since i started playing poker online. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

And dont tell me playing with bad players is +EV. I know it is. But Ive played the 50s 30s and 20s at stars and have done much better at those levels. The 10s are the hardest to beat for me. I just cashed out my BR and am starting over again.

I'm also an alien.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Re: the mentality of whales

Yes, I often hate them... I can't help but think of them as complete morons, though I know this is often not true.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:14 PM

i don't understand, are you jealous because these people actually have enough money that they can afford to lose it playing poker? i really don't understand in the slightest why it would make sense that someone not being an experienced or knowledgeable poker player should make you hate them
Old 09-08-2005, 12:39 PM

I finally understand the perspective of people who have alot of money and just enjoy gambling. Here is how I came to understand their side.

Join a micro limits game, something like .5/1 limit and just sit in with $500. Raise every hand, every time, every street. I did this the other day and realized that it was actually fun in a sick way to play like a maniac and outdraw people when you know the amount of money on the line does not mean very much to you if you were to lose. It's entertaining to see the effect your play has on people... i started having people call me down with 9 high and cuss me out for hitting runner runner straights. After thinking about it even further I realized that me sitting in micro limits and d*cking around like that is similar to a whale sitting in some high stakes game and doing the same. I always used to wonder how people could have fun throwing lots of money away at poker but it can be somewhat amusing. Oh and if you act like a d*ck and stiff ass to someone whose there just trying to have fun they will enjoy rivering you even more. I received alot of satisfaction hitting runner runner to bust someones KK after they'd continued to needle me about my play. Difference was they were there to grind it out and I was having fun, so either way I was leaving a winner... either having fun or up money. This is the same mentality the whales have.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really like to see cheap flops with suited connectors and pairs but it seemd every time i limped

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people really don't like letting other people limp in cheaply with their small pairs and suited connectors...

[ QUOTE ]
The reason why im writing this in the psych forum is because i hate the player that makes this raise with just an ok hand. I despise the whale who bets me off my nice suited connector or small pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Is it because these players make you play tighter and that is boring?

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the main point of this post is how do you not truly hate your opponents. My whole outlook on people in general and society has blackened since i started playing poker online.

[/ QUOTE ]

An important part of not hating your opponents is remembering that they are people, not just poker-bots. They may have very little experience with poker (remember when you didn't have any experience?) or poker may just be a way to relax and blow off steam for them (and they may have exactly zero interest in getting better at it).

If the existence of people with poor poker skills is driving you to misanthropy you either have a very odd perspective on society or poker is really really REALLY important to you.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Join a micro limits game, something like .5/1 limit and just sit in with $500. Raise every hand, every time, every street. I did this the other day and realized that it was actually fun in a sick way to play like a maniac and outdraw people when you know the amount of money on the line does not mean very much to you if you were to lose. It's entertaining to see the effect your play has on people...

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me say that I do play at .50/1.00 tables, and I wish you would come do this at one of my tables [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i play the 10sngs at stars and have noticed a lot of raises of 3 to 4x the bb in the first round. the player who makes this raise usually has something like AT or KQs. This alone drives me nuts. How can I call a 4xbb at a full tablw with ajo? I just can't do it. But what amazes me is what players will call 3x or 4x the bb with in the first round. Ive seen people call with JT and Q9s.

I guess what im wondering is why am I writing this in the psychology forum. This preflop betting in the early rounds of the 10s at stars is driving me nuts. I really like to see cheap flops with suited connectors and pairs but it seemd every time i limped for 20 some donkey would bet 100 out of one of the blinds and there go my pot odds. Now your probably saying that its a good play if he makes me fold, but mostly everyone else goes ahead and calls for another 80. So he actually just sweetens the pot cuz everyone calls but me.

Another thing i noticed about the 10s at stars in the early rounds is that people will check a flush draw witht he intention of never letting go of there hand. Someone will go all in with top pair and they'll call INSTANTLY with the wrong pot odds.

They also call instantly with those bets i was just talking about earlier. If you limp with kj in the 1st round and some guy bets 100 wouldn't you pause for at least 2 seconds before calling? Would you call in the first place. I hope not. But they just insta call and if a k or j hits on the flop watch out, cuz theyre gonna check call you.

Thats the other thing that drives me nuts they dont bet they call. If you to go all in why not go all in first and at least have some folding equity?

I guess i shouldnt complain. I made $50 today and i consistently beat the $10 sng at stars, but it's when these guys draw out on me i just lose it, it doesnt matter how much i won that day.

I guess the main point of this post is how do you not truly hate your opponents. My whole outlook on people in general and society has blackened since i started playing poker online. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

And dont tell me playing with bad players is +EV. I know it is. But Ive played the 50s 30s and 20s at stars and have done much better at those levels. The 10s are the hardest to beat for me. I just cashed out my BR and am starting over again.

I'm also an alien.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody cares.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the mentality of whales

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
i play the 10sngs

[/ QUOTE ]

???
Old 09-09-2005, 02:31 AM

Very few people are playing 10 Sitngos with intention of making money. They are there to have fun so that means doing negative ev things b/c its fun to be a jackass. I played .01/.02 NL on UB today b/c I was bored and I played like a donk and the table thought I was an idiot but it was fun and in expected value terms I lost less money than a single flop mistake in my usually 400NL game. Bottom line its supposed to be fun and playing with 20> dollars is going to be people relaxing not playing WPT intensity poker. Just chill and collect your pennies you gain by playing right and move on up.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:46 AM

i think you're confusing whales w/ fish.

the players you describe - just generally bad - are fish, not whales.