Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Lost at level 3 with 13BBs

I play the Party 11s and 22s. I often find myself a bit lost with a stack of around 650 when we hit 25/50. I've got a big enough stack that I don't think I need to take big risks yet (?), but in ten hands I become pretty short-stacked at 50/100. We're also far enough out from the money that I need to double up and/or steal a bunch just to make it to the bubble.

What do you do when you're getting into this area, and you're not finding any +EV situations to steal the blinds? (I use eastbay's sitngo-analyzer and I often have great position, but garbage cards and it says pushing is -EV)

Say it is folded to you on the button and you have rags. (62o, 84o etc) I don't have SNGA here but lets assume it says a push is -EV. What is the play here?

Given that pushing is -EV I think that's a mistake right? I can afford a 3xBB raise for a lower-risk steal, but if I'm called the pot is ~350 and I only have 500 behind. Any bet commits me to the pot doesn't it? If my opponent leads out, and I've missed the flop, I can't call his bet.

I usually end up folding and waiting for a better spot. It often doesn't arrive and suddenly I'm posting the 50/100 blinds and I've got rags again, and they're being stolen. Now I'm the button with 500 chips and the cycle continues.

Should I just stay patient and keep looking for +EV pushes, or do you have to gamble a bit and hope for the best?

Thanks,
Kent
Old 09-07-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Lost at level 3 with 13BBs

Eventually you will get a hand (even if it's not in this particular SnG). That's what we complain about when we say "damn cold cards".

Also, 650 chips at 50/100 isn't desperate. I would say 5x is when a stack is truly desperate. But you will have a better spot than 72o against a big stack in the BB on the button in level 3.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eventually you will get a hand (even if it's not in this particular SnG). That's what we complain about when we say "damn cold cards".

Also, 650 chips at 50/100 isn't desperate. I would say 5x is when a stack is truly desperate. But you will have a better spot than 72o against a big stack in the BB on the button in level 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

and again,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-07-2005, 05:34 PM

So it sounds like patience is the key. Thanks for the help guys.