Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 11:20 AM

Default I never win with AAxx

Newbie here. I am a fairly tight player in OH pot limit, and all the poker sites say to play AAxx aggressively. Now I know that in simulations it wins a lot but in practice the flop is always xxx or small pair. I am now probably up against 2p in the first case or 3 of a kind or full house in the second with possible flush and straight draws to come. When would I ever bet aggresively after the flop?
Old 09-06-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Re: I never win with AAxx

When you hit a set or the nut flush draw, or if you managed to get a heads up or 3-way pot with your PF raise and the flop is not highly coordinated. In these cases you can play it aggressive post flop. In a multi-way pot you just have a single pair, no reason to fall in love. If you encounter any sign of interest ditch the sucker.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:47 PM

It depends a lot on your read of the player and their position. If a decent player out of position starts playing back at me on an uncoordinated flop I am assuming that he has made a set or two pair.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:50 PM

but I seem to put more in the preflop raises (say 6 hands) than I get back for the one win in your situation. Every one has probably got me pegged for AA after the preflop raise and are pretty wary and so tend to drop out if a good hand appears. I am sure that good players can make AA work for them thougth
Old 09-06-2005, 01:12 PM

I think the solution is not to raise PF with EVERY AAxx. I think you shouldn't be raising PF with some types of AAxx, such as with neither A suited, with 2 medium cards, etc. Just play these ugly AAxx hands for set value. You'll be more likely to get action when you hit your A, and you'll be able to get away cheap when the flop is unfavorable.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I seem to put more in the preflop raises (say 6 hands) than I get back for the one win in your situation. Every one has probably got me pegged for AA after the preflop raise and are pretty wary and so tend to drop out if a good hand appears. I am sure that good players can make AA work for them thougth

[/ QUOTE ]

you need a higher PFR%, anyone with pto can see all the people that only raise with aces. you start raising the pot with AA, KK, QQ, 4 broadway and they won't be able to put you on a hand. then you can bet out when the flop is yxx where y = A, K, Q
Old 09-06-2005, 01:49 PM

I can see that is good advice. One potential problem in low stakes internet poker is that most people dont stay round long enough at one table to get a feel for your play - though at a real (non-internet) table that isnt a problem
Old 09-06-2005, 04:17 PM

I would say instead of seeing AAxx and defaulting to a raise, think about limping first. If you hit a set, no one will put you on it, because "hey, he didn't raise preflop." Raise with your really good AA starting hands, and limp (with the possibility of making a huge limp-raise if you're in ep)with the rest, and you'll save yourself A LOT of money.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:34 PM

If your opponents are bad or unobservant you will almost always be put on AA/KK after any raise
Old 09-06-2005, 06:43 PM

You may be overplaying these hands post flop (possibly pre flop as well). As has already been mentioned, you need to tread caustiously post flop if all you end up with is a pair of Aces. Pay carefull attention to the texture of the flop and the number of opponents in the pot with you.

What would probably be the best thing for you would be to post some of the hands where you have lost a good amount of money with AAxx. Or browse through the archives as for a while there about every 3 hands was an AAxx hand and you might see some things you are doing wrong.