Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 11:17 AM

Default ($60) advice wanted - gang tackling the shortie?

Kind of an obscure question - but one I've struggled with occasionally.

Assuming you can 'afford it', do you call raises with less in an effort to ensure a short-stack's demise?
Is this thinking even correct? Should your calling/raising standards be limited to the comparison of your hand to the openers?

In this case here, I had VERY little respect for Seat-1's raise. He had doubled up others at the table at various points with suspect hands - having only reached this point w/ a few river saves of his own. He was extremely LAG, and was raising with any two here (not that it was a bad move/gamble).

Do you consider joining the fray here? What type of hand WOULD you call (vs. raise) with the purpose of making it more difficult for shorie's random hand to hold up?

55+5 turbo
** chips before posting **
Seat 1: (6510 in chips)
bluefeet (5865 in chips)
Seat 5: (1125 in chips)
all post antes 50
bluefeet: posts small blind 300
Seat 5: posts big blind 600
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to bluefeet [Qs 8s]
Seat 1: raises 600 to 1200
bluefeet: ????

Are there situations that warrant this more than others?
Old 09-06-2005, 11:56 AM

Default Re: ($60) advice wanted - gang tackling the shortie?

[ QUOTE ]

Assuming you can 'afford it', do you call raises with less in an effort to ensure a short-stack's demise?
Is this thinking even correct? Should your calling/raising standards be limited to the comparison of your hand to the openers?

In this case here, I had VERY little respect for Seat-1's raise. He had doubled up others at the table at various points with suspect hands - having only reached this point w/ a few river saves of his own. He was extremely LAG, and was raising with any two here (not that it was a bad move/gamble).

Do you consider joining the fray here? What type of hand WOULD you call (vs. raise) with the purpose of making it more difficult for shorie's random hand to hold up?

55+5 turbo
bluefeet (5865 in chips)
all post antes 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Blue,

I think this is relatively simple in that you are only giving shortie 900 more chips by calling and losing to him (UTG must lose too) and if he doubles when you fold, he'll have a healthy stack anyway. The 900 more wont make as much a difference in the dynamic if he beats both of you, whereas by calling you lessen his chance of winning greatly.

I would call this with even up to 75% of hands.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:57 AM

I think you should also be concerned with whether seat 1 is going to be willing to check it down here. If he's as LAG as you say he may bluff you out of the small side pot and triple up short stack.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

55+5 turbo
bluefeet (5865 in chips)
all post antes 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I call here with almost any two. As a corollary, and I don't think this is what happened, but does anyone like the button intentionally making this raise to get you to come along and try and bust this guy? (i.e. if you were the button would you do this to try and get sb in the pot) I haven't really thought this out, but it could be an interesting idea.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:21 PM

money you win if doing this helps you knock out shortie - one buy in
money you lose if throwing away 1200 chips (which you are doing a very large amount of the time) keeps you from getting first or even second - 2-3 buy ins.

This seems like an easy fold with garbarge like Q8o. Either the lag donkey knocks out shortstack or he doubles him up and you are chipleader. Either is good.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
money you win if doing this helps you knock out shortie - one buy in
money you lose if throwing away 1200 chips (which you are doing a very large amount of the time) keeps you from getting first or even second - 2-3 buy ins.

This seems like an easy fold with garbarge like Q8o. Either the lag donkey knocks out shortstack or he doubles him up and you are chipleader. Either is good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since when is Q8o garbage 3-handed?

I think you should call at the very least, your odds are too good. With a read against Button that he'll fold to your push over the top, I would do that as well.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This seems like an easy fold with garbarge like Q8o.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on it's suited.

I also don't think the 1200 chips makes a ton of difference heads up anyways.
If you knock out shortie you automaticallly win one buy in plus have a close to 50% chance of first worth two more buy ins than second. So by knocking him out you should win +2 buy ins.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:48 PM

I think a call is mandatory here. This is a good example of proper ITM play.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:53 PM

Calling seems okay, but what do you do if you catch a small piece of the flop and bigstack starts building a sidepot? Next thing you know, he's built up a nice sidepot on the flop and turn, then pushes on the river. Then what?

Against certain aggressive players, I could let this one go so I'm not put in that position. Like someone else already said, if you fold, you're either going to be guaranteed 2nd or you will be the chipleader with 3 players left. I don't see how this is such a bad scenario either.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:54 PM

I think if Lag wants to bet flop you give it to him unless your hand is extremely strong ie 2 pair or better