Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 06:13 AM

Default Do you play badly if stakes are too small

Playing scared because the stakes are too high is common but I'm wondering about the opposite.

When I started playing I thought a good player would play their best whatever the stakes. I've moved down recently, in part because I'm playing new games (moved from limit to NL and PLO) but also to make poker more enjoyable and relaxing and to have a bit of a break. I notice my play is sometimes casual and unfocused in a way my limit play rarely was. When I play higher I feel like I'm playing scared but I wonder if I actually play better. It could just be the passage of time or other factors in my life causing changes in my attitude.

Some of the top players at this site say they don't play their best when the money is small. Do many of you experience this?

Motivation is probably the issue here.

Thanks,
James
Old 09-06-2005, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Do you play badly if stakes are too small

I used to. The Cure?

Once every three months I have a group of friends over for beers, 3 stoogers, and poker. Dealers choice. Max bet $1. I normally play about 30:60. It mellows me out and allows me to move up in down in limits easily. The cost? A fun time with some friends.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:27 AM

I play my best no matter what the stakes. Where money is concerned there's no such thing as too small to matter, at least not in my book. No sense getting into bad habits. The only exception to this rule is if I'm on tilt and hit the play money tables to blow off some steam.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:11 AM

I like to do 2 dollar buy-in SnG's for fun. I wouldn't say I play too badly, but I'm not really a no limit player (or tourny player), so I dont take it too seriously. Then again, I usually just do it while waiting for a 3rd good 6-max table.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:47 PM

I multi-table 2/4 and 3/6 online. I can still pay attention at 1/2, but probably not at .5/1.

This is a problem I have at homegames too. If its a NLHE cash game with a max buy of 20, there's no way I'm not gonna be all in every few hands [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]