Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 05:35 AM

Default Strange AK TPTK Line

I was sitting in a particularly good CA B&M mid-limit game when the following hand came up:

Fish (calls down to the river with or without bottom pair and rarely raises without the nuts) limped UTG+2, a pretty good but a bit laggy Kid raised from MP1 (he'd been trying to isolate the fish all night and was succeeding, making a bundle), folded to me in SB and I 3-bet with
A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Fish and Kid call.
Flop comes:
A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I bet, Fish folds, Kid calls.
Turn is:
Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check, Kid calls "time" and then finally bets, I call.
River is:
3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I bet, Kid calls.
How'd I do?
Old 09-06-2005, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Strange AK TPTK Line

just bet the turn.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:49 AM

Looks like a big bet was missed somewhere...either turn or river. That's my first impression.

The only way your turn check is good is if the kid has a hand like kq or qj (of clubs maybe). If he did pair queens on the turn, then you played the hand perfectly up until not raising on the river.

Obviously, how you did is completely dependent upon what the kid had.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:59 AM

Let me give some more background: I was the only other player at the table who consistently wins and the Kid knows that. He was doing his best to stay out of my way all night (and I likewise since he was perhaps the only thinking player at the table). Also, he's not islating PF here with crap. Figure AK-AT and AA-55 with occasional random Axs and suited Broadway the only other candidates.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:05 AM

If you want me to guess within your criteria, I did that.
I don't understand why you clarified your image and gave his hand ranges....any thinking player would assume those things.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me give some more background: I was the only other player at the table who consistently wins and the Kid knows that. He was doing his best to stay out of my way all night (and I likewise since he was perhaps the only thinking player at the table). Also, he's not islating PF here with crap. Figure AK-AT and AA-55 with occasional random Axs and suited Broadway the only other candidates.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, he's raising a fish, which you say he's been doing all night (with crap or not).

Second of all, I don't know if the term "isolate" is correct and your image has absolutely NOTHING to do with the quality of his raise considering you were the SB.

Try to be consistent.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:19 AM

I don't quite understand, but please remove the word "occasional" as Axs and suited broadway are likely. Also, when I asked "how'd I do?", I meant "do you like this line?" Sorry for all the corrections.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I meant "do you like this line?"

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I don't see the value of check/calling the turn and betting out the river. If you're going to get him to bet here on any hand in your range that contains a Q or A why didn't you checkraise?

I say either bet the turn and make sure you don't allow him to check behind or checkraise if you think he'll go along until the river.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:42 AM

"If you're going to get him to bet here on any hand in your range that contains a Q or A why didn't you checkraise"
I didnt think he'd call down with most hands that I beat with the exception of maybe AJ and of course those few hands with a ton of outs. Also, I think his betting range is wider than just Q or A hands.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:47 AM

Is is calling range wider than Q or A hands?