Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 10:43 PM

Default Pocket Pairs and flop

So, generally, if I have mid/low pocket pairs and flop comes with overcards (face cards), and I don't make the set,and 3 or more people seeing flop, I usually fold (unless pot is enormous). Sound right?
Old 09-04-2005, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Pocket Pairs and flop

[ QUOTE ]
So, generally, if I have mid/low pocket pairs and flop comes with overcards (face cards), and I don't make the set,and 3 or more people seeing flop, I usually fold (unless pot is enormous). Sound right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Even if the pot is enormous, you might want to go ahead and fold anyway.

Say you have 55

2 limps, you limp, V1, raises, call call call, some one LRR, you call, V1 caps, and 6 of you see the flop for 24bets

If it comes AKT rainbow now what.

If, you can see the turn for 1 bet, you have odds to hit a set, but, you might be drawing dead already, and if you hit a set, you have to dodge broadway cards and the like.

I have peeled with 44 on the flop if it's like Q73 rainbow and I'm getting like 18 or 20-1.

In this situation, if you hit a 4, you are ahead, or, if you hit a 5,6 you will probably have odds to hit a gutter on the river.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing small pocket pairs in mid position with only 2-3 limpers is a long-time loser in low limit. You are so often going to run into raises behind you, killing your implied odds.
If you call 2 bets preflop against 4 opponents with a small pocket pair, get a raise and a re-raise on the flop, one raise on the turn and one bet on the river, you are going to be a long-term loser. However, if you only had to call 1 bet preflop and got the same post-flop action, you are a long-term winner.
The poster below, gives an excellent example of how playing small pocket pairs can get you trapped into paying 4 bets to see the flop, a major leak in one's game.
Look forward to playing JT suited instead.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes.

Even if the pot is enormous, you might want to go ahead and fold anyway.

Say you have 55

2 limps, you limp, V1, raises, call call call, some one LRR, you call, V1 caps, and 6 of you see the flop for 24bets

If it comes AKT rainbow now what.

If, you can see the turn for 1 bet, you have odds to hit a set, but, you might be drawing dead already, and if you hit a set, you have to dodge broadway cards and the like.

I have peeled with 44 on the flop if it's like Q73 rainbow and I'm getting like 18 or 20-1.

In this situation, if you hit a 4, you are ahead, or, if you hit a 5,6 you will probably have odds to hit a gutter on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-05-2005, 02:11 AM

Yeah I agree.

Is it worth it to see flop and fold right away if I don't make the set (assuming one bet on preflop)? Is that standard to do? Don't remember reading any specific rule about it in any of the 2+2 books.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I agree.

Is it worth it to see flop and fold right away if I don't make the set (assuming one bet on preflop)? Is that standard to do? Don't remember reading any specific rule about it in any of the 2+2 books.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had 55 and the flop was 643 I'd call. I'd raise if it was a rainbow flop and was last to act.
But if the flop misses me and someone bets, I'm gone against almost all players and have to have a good read on the few I'd consider calling.
We are talking about calling here. If I'm 3 off the button with 55 and it's folded to me, I usually open/raise if I think I'm going to get it heads-up.
Be advised, however, that I don't play on-line, as I find it a lot like sucking on a woman's breast through her bra.
Therefore, I have the luxury of "seeing" my opponents.