Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Hand against very good 2+2er, party 20/40

2+2er in the BB is a very good player, I don't think he knows who I am. I probably have a TAG image but he is 6 tabling so who knows what he noticed. Oh, and I've never played 20/40 before.

Is this a cap preflop? I didn't think I was in great shape against most of his 3 betting hands out of the BB. I thought on the flop either I can raise now and hope to get called down, or raise the turn and risk him folding or on the rare chance I'm behind getting 3 bet and having to pay off. I also considered calling the flop and turn and raising the river but I dismissed that quickly.

When the river card came he checked right away and I spent like 10 seconds thinking before I bet. Should I check here or if I do bet, should I make sure to not take time like that? Am I overthinking that?

Thanks,
DeathDonkey

Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>...
Old 09-04-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Hand against very good 2+2er, party 20/40

I think I cap this preflop and lead the flop.

On the river, unless you think he is calling with QQ or JJ or 99 no diamond I check behind (and I don't think he is going to call with those hands)

I dont think you ever fold a better hand here.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I cap this preflop and lead the flop.

On the river, unless you think he is calling with QQ or JJ or 99 no diamond I check behind (and I don't think he is going to call with those hands)

[/ QUOTE ]

He can't lead; he's in position.

As for capping AK preflop against a 3-bet from the blinds, see my 20/40 against sfer hand from last week in SS.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

When the river card came he checked right away and I spent like 10 seconds thinking before I bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

there's your mistake

after thinking that long, if you bet, you have to call a raise.

he's 6 tabling, so he may not have noticed, but if i was paying attention ot the hand, you're getting c/red.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As for capping AK preflop against a 3-bet from the blinds, see my 20/40 against sfer hand from last week in SS.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mistake. Well I like to cap and bet the flop.

As far as capping goes, you have position and you have reasonably good equity against his range, so I think capping here is OK, but I don't know how much better/worse it is than just calling the 3bet with the intention of raising a good flop.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:28 PM

Cap preflop and auto-check the river. You're not folding any pair hand with a diamond after he called your flop raise and turn bet.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as capping goes, you have position and you have reasonably good equity against his range, so I think capping here is OK, but I don't know how much better/worse it is than just calling the 3bet with the intention of raising a good flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't think that AK has that much of an equity advantage against a blind 3-bet after Hero opens in MP1.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't think that AK has that much of an equity advantage against a blind 3-bet after Hero opens in MP1.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually slightly behind in equity with 99+ and AK+ or almost even if you include AQ type hands. I wasn't saying we have an advantage, we just have reasonably close enough equity that capping this in position can't be horrible.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:44 PM

dont like the river bet. when villain calls the river, he has to have a nondiamond 49% of the time for it to be profitable. this also doesnt consider the fact the times that he checkraises you and causes you to fold the winner. i think he will fold alot of pairs here and therefore the bet is -ev.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:50 PM

Curious Question. Whats wrong with just calling this all the way down, that is....never showing any aggression postflop. My thinking is if you put 3 bettor on TT-AA and AK. All we beat here is QQ or JJ, and we would never want to raise these hands since we dont want these hands to fold, and all the other hands have us beat. Given my assumption that the 3 better will fold a hand like QQ or JJ on either the flop or the turn if we raise the flop and he will reraise us with all his other holdings that beat us wouldnt just calling down here be the optimal strategy? Someone please point out the holes in my logic here, as I an really curious to hear anyones insight on this.