Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2003, 05:07 PM

Default The smallest of overpairs - do I like the turn?

A couple of people fold to me. I open-raise w/ 66. Unfortunately, two people cold-call after me, as do the blinds.

Flop 234r

SB bets. BB folds. I raise. Cold-callers fold. SB calls.

SB likes to play just about any two. He's pretty aggressive and relatively tricky.

Turn 6234

SB bets. Call or raise?
Old 04-21-2003, 05:23 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: The smallest of overpairs - do I like the turn?

i would lean towards calling and calling again on the river, unless of course you fill up. if he's putting a move on you, it's probably not likely he'll take it to the next level with a reraise or even call. if he's not, you're getting 3bet and you'll pretty much have to pay off on the river anyway.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:08 PM

I like to just call down on a scary board and a player who will play any two cards. And you still have outs if your behind at all.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:41 PM

"He's pretty aggressive and relatively tricky."

so you raise the turn and call him down if he comes at you again.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:45 PM

"if he's putting a move on you, it's probably not likely he'll take it to the next level with a reraise"

no but he might reraise the turn w/ hands hero has beat like a smaller set, two pair, and (less likely) and overpair.

in other words, there's too much to gain from a raise here w/ top set despite the chances he's against a 5 for the straight.

Old 04-21-2003, 10:09 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

"no but he might reraise the turn w/ hands hero has beat like a smaller set, two pair, and (less likely) and overpair."

i don't take 'tricky' to mean they'll 3bet a 2346 board on the turn with something like 2 pair. even if he's tricky, he knows his opponent isn't nuts.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:22 PM

"i don't take 'tricky' to mean they'll 3bet a 2346 board on the turn with something like 2 pair. even if he's tricky, he knows his opponent isn't nuts."

it wouldnt be nuts. since hero raised preflop tricky might put him on a big pair when he raises the turn and decide to reraise for value w/ little two pair as well as try to sell hero on the idea that his (perceived) overpair is drawing dead to a straight. there's not much reason for tricky to fear a straight or a set on a 6432 board.

ive seen this sort of aggressive play of two pair against a likely overpair frequently from tougher trickier players so i dont think it's far fetched at all.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:28 PM

tougher trickier i'd agree, just tricky i wouldn't as much. i agree anything's possible.

i guess my point is that if it's a situation where i'm questioning the value, i don't see the point of the raise. he's questioning it, so i don't see the point. if i'm going to get shown a worse hand at least 40% of the time when he bets here AND he'll call a raise back with that hand, then i'll raise here. if it's closer to the middle (or worse), it's flying without instruments.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:00 AM

hi ulysses
fold this pre-flop ulysses. i'm hoping if i tell enough people to fold this pre-flop, i'll finally start folding it. of course ulysses call. he's got J5o or something like that. just call.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:45 PM

Default Results

I called.

The river was a 5. My opponent bet. I called. We chopped. He had J3o.