Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 07:30 AM

Default The Good, The Bad....The Ugly? (special blind defense edition!)

Another ugly night, filled with bad beats on the appropriately named Bad Beat Jackpot tables (hey, the jackpot was up over $200k, and the donks were out in full force). I caught a nice little run at the end of the session to "only" finish down about 35 BBs. But that doesn't matter...what matters is, how did I play these hands? Because to be honest, the way things have been going for me lately I'm starting to question if I ever really knew what I was doing to start with. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Hand 1

Reads: First hand of the night. I don't really have reads on anyone, except that the table in general was piling up some nice pots before I got there.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, SB calls.

River: (8 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, SB folds.

Final Pot: 16 BB
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: 16 BB, between MP3 and Hero.</font>

__________________________________________________ ________

Hand 2

No read on villian.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, intending to call a raise?

__________________________________________________ _________

Hand 3

Reads: Down to HU vs. a pretty mediocre player. Even when the table was full he played way too many hands, and had real trouble getting away from a big unimproved ace or pocket pair. I believe that I've gotten into his head since we got heads up by varying my play pretty much constantly, and putting a lot of pressure on him preflop.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (2 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, intending to win the pot before he can suck out on the river.

As always, any and all comments or critiques are very much welcome. Usually I post 1 hand that I think I played well and 1 hand that I think I played poorly; tonight there's 1 that I think is good, 1 that I think is sorta bad, and 1 that I really can't decide about.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:09 AM

Default Re: The Good, The Bad....The Ugly? (special blind defense edition!)

Hand 1 looks fine.

Hand 2 you need to cap that turn unless you want to checkraise the river.

Hand 3 depends on how often you think he'll fold.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1 looks fine.

Hand 2 you need to cap that turn unless you want to checkraise the river.

Hand 3 depends on how often you think he'll fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur. Hand 2 cap unless u want to CR. I like capping and leading better.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:19 AM

Hand 1 I raise that flop and expect coldcallers aplenty at most 2/4 tables. I do that mostly because when you raise the turn to SB's continuation bet, even donks realize you've got something good.

Hand 2 maybe I'm weak or something, but I just check/call the river and I usually don't cap the turn.

Hand 3 I don't think he's the right opponent to do this against.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:32 AM

Whenver u get finished w/ this thread Id be curious to know what Hand 2 had (I was thinking KJ which u probably split with or maybe KT. Unless he filled up to a boat on the river there isnt much else out there I can see.

Did a quick count on that: looks close doing a count. Hand beating u 99,TT,QQ,KK,KQ,AJ = 28. Hands u are beating AK,KJ,KT,AA =36 probably discount that to 29-30ish............so its close on that river to what u want to do...whether its c/c or lead after capping the turn.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:46 AM

Hand 1: I think is ok; there's a few decent cards that will let a typical player improve to a second best hand/draw. Pot is small.

Hand 2: I'd also cap the turn.

Hand 3: Did you read your read? [ QUOTE ]
he played way too many hands, and had real trouble getting away from a big unimproved ace or pocket pair

[/ QUOTE ]
This is really read-dependent but even if you're in his head this doesn't seem like the ideal opponent to semibluff.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:37 PM

Hand 1 is fine. I dont like hands 2 or 3. You are over thinking and fps is very real. Second hand just cap the flop while you have the pseodo nuts.

Hand 3 dont 3bet preflop. [ QUOTE ]
Down to HU vs. a pretty mediocre player. Even when the table was full he played way too many hands, and had real trouble getting away from a big unimproved ace or pocket pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you semibluffing this player? The pot is small so he needs to fold a very high percentage of the time for raising to be better than calling.

-SmileyEH
Old 09-04-2005, 01:50 PM

Hand 1: Cool.

Hand 2: I would just cap the flop and lead. I don't like the river plan at all.

Hand 3: I don't like the preflop 3-bet.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:05 PM

1. good

2. given the way u got to the river and the board pairing, i probably just check/call the river

3. given ur read, i dont like the semi bluff C/R here.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:24 PM

Hand 1 nice pot, good play.

Hand 2: I would have capped the turn and yes I'd bet-call the river. The CO could be stubborn and 3 betting without the J. If he has AJ well that happens, but every other hand you're eather spliting or are a huge favorite.

Hands 3: Do you think he's folding a pair here? And do you plan on continuing with a river bet to get him to fold an Ace or Q high? If you think there is even a small chance he'll fold I like the raise.